Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome Thread Cutter On Strike >

Janome Thread Cutter On Strike

Janome Thread Cutter On Strike

Old 02-21-2011, 02:48 PM

My Janome 6600P thread cutter suddenly went on strike. I have cleaned out the bobbin casing and underneath the machine so not a spect of dust remains, however the auto cutter still is not working. Does anyone have any pointers or ideas on what the problem may be? I had this problem once before about a year ago when the machine was only 6 months old and took it in for servicing. They said there was no problem and told me it was probably the thread I was using. The cutter was working fine with the thread I was using for an entire quilt top, so this can't be the problem this time. Sign me frustrated!
Old 02-21-2011, 02:56 PM

Could there be a tiny snip of thread stuck in it? That's the only thing I can think of.

When I use my cutter, I am paranoid. I always make sure the stitching has stopped completely and the presser foot is down, and I touch NOTHING until it's done cutting.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:10 PM

I've never had this trouble with mine, I don't really know what to suggest. Maybe clean out the bobbin area and make sure there isn't anything in the way?
Old 02-21-2011, 04:21 PM

mine wasnt working the other day then started working again i dont know good luck
Old 02-22-2011, 02:27 AM

Mine wasn't working properly, so I cleaned out the little dust bunny wanta-bes and the normal things you do when cleaning the machine (I usually just turned off the Janome 6600P and restarted it, that usually took care of the problem. This time I investigated further.) Turned out the silver screw in the bobbin racer was almost out, not the black tension screw, the silver one. Tightened it up and it now works as good as ever.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:05 AM

Mine stopped working about two months after I bought the machine, it made a horrible grinding noise and the machine froze up. Janome told me to clean around the cutter, which didn't help at all. Shutting it off and manually turning the needle up and down got my machine working again, but not the thread cutter. My dealer is two hours away and in a really scary neighborhood, I decided I really didn't need a thread cutter.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:14 AM

Mine quit too. Had to bring it in for other issues and tech said there was so much lint in the area it was similiar to FELT. Even though is suctioin the bobbin area regularly, just get way back in that sectioin. Bet that's the issue.

I just put a band aid over the button so I wouldn't use it and told the tech about the issue when it went back for servicing.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:17 AM

My cutter has never failed but I was having severe grinding noise in my machine. My husband took my machine apart and cleaned it very well and adjusted "something" in that area so it would hit properly. I'll try to find out exactly what he did. Right now he is sleeping again. He is recovering from cancer surgery so he rests a lot. :)