Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Janome vs Bernina sewing machine? Help!!

Janome vs Bernina sewing machine? Help!!

Well, Im a newbie to the quilting board so please be lenient with me! So, I am in the market for a new sewing machine! What I've had before are two horrible singer machines, one which i could return, the other which i could not (stupid thing!). This time, I actually did some research and have found out more about other sewing machine brands. I'm currently looking at Bernina, Janome, and Juki sewing machines (I've decided to relieve myself of singer once and for all). I know they are all very awesome and reliable brands, but price REALLY matters here! I'm getting this as a birthday present from my grandparents (they pay half) and i pay the rest. So tell me first, which brand is better? And is the Bernina really worth it? even if I get a bernina, it'll be either one of the bernettes (which aren't even made by them) or a used bernina..... So yea... And also, I sew ALOT and make my own clothes and stuff and I want a very reliable sewing machine, something I could put my life on lol. I personally want a bernina I guess, but my parents will say no (I'm sure of it) even if it will pay off in the long run. My grandma also owns an $800 janome which she swears by... Did I mention that the price range that my grandparents put down originally was $300 - $400?
    Last edited by PatriceJ; 07-03-2012 at 01:55 AM.

Blog Entries
    Do *NOT* get a Bernette; you will be very disappointed.

You may be able to find an older model Bernina in your price range, and that could be a great purchase. Do you have sewing machine dealerships in your area? If so, find out what used machines they have on hand. Older Vikings and Pfaffs are also very good machines.

If you are not planning on quilting with the machine, a new Janome Jem can be a very nice machine in your price range. I do think the harp size is small for machine quilting, though. Check Amazon to get an idea of features and pricing, and also for user reviews.

Get the juki F600 i hear awesome things. Berninas can be really pricey as well as the feet and accessories and you can get more for your money with another brand and be just as happy. There are also some good janomes, but me personally I would go for juki over janome. I would test drive different brands. There are so many others out there other than juki and janome and you might like those better as well. I would choose something just cause your family member likes it especially something you will invest in as it will be a higher end machine. Do your research you will be much happier in the end

Blog Entries
    I'd recommend a Janome also. I have a mid-range Bernina and, after having for a few years, do not think it is worth the extra money. My daughter got a Janome a year ago and LOVES it! She's an experienced seamstress and I value her opinion on this.
    Wendy

First you need to see if there is a place to get it serviced if need be. Second, check to see if they have any good used machines. I got a Janome DC2011 used at my dealer for $225, all accessories and manual included.

Also, think about what stitches you really want. Don't go with a big fancy machine with 100+ stitches if you won't use half of them. My machine has 50 and I maybe use 10 right now.

You seem to have research so I am sure you will make the right decision for you.
    Sabrina
    Mommy to a 6 year old little girl, 3 dogs, 5 cats, and 2 fish. lol Life keeps me busy but when I have a moment, I love to sew
    http://ataleofamilitaryfamily.blogspot.com/
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsLove

Definitely recommend a Janome!!

A good used Bernina will last you forever. Check with a local dealer. I have three of their machines after owning a Kenmore forever. Will never buy anything but a Bernina. Good luck!
    Linda

I recommend Bernina.

Thanks for everyones responses! I'm really leaning towards the janome machines although the berninas are good. I think its more in my price range.. Now, does anyone have any preferences on which janome sewing machine to get? Im not sure, but I'm thinking a computerized one would be really nice

I have both a Janome and a Bernina. In your price range, you should aim towards the Janome. Later in life and when you've saved more pennies, you can go for the Bernina.

Look into a Janome Jem (Gem?) Those are good, beginning machines and will be easier for you to afford. Good luck.

I have a Janome 6600 and a Janome dc3050. I bought the 3050 before the 6600 and I think I paid 599.00 for it. I really love that machine; only thing is it doesn't have a thread cutter. I think there is one right above it though (it's a dc something) that has the automatic thread cutter, and automatic threader plus a lot more. Either one would be an awesome machine. Whatever you get make sure you have a good dealer.

I have the Janome 3160QDC and I love it! I have a larger Janome (7700) as my stay at home machine and use the 3160 to take to classes and retreats and such. It's not too heavy - only 12 lbs. but it feels a lot sturdier than the Janome Jems and the throat is larger. It's also got needle up/down and the thread cutter, which were important to me. I've never had any trouble with my Janomes, and I've had six over the years.

HMK
    Totally agree with those recommending the Janome for you. I have both and prefer my Janome - my Bernina doesn't stitch as nice as my Janome and the Bernina requires that you only use their high priced accessories etc. I've had my Janome for over 25 years and it still stitches as perfectly as it did when new.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I would definitely go with a very nice USED machine. You can get a high priced machine that is used for pretty cheap. I don't know about the different brands. I've only owned Viking Huskavarnas and Berninas, and one Singer. But I think a good used machine is what I would do. I'm in the market for a used machine to take to classes and retreats, so I'm following this thread. Thanks for starting it.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Howdy and welcome, from Texas!

I LOVE my Janome (I have the 7700) and though this particular one is out of your price range, I would still recommend a Janome. Please go to a shop that carries the different models. Sit down at each and find out what it does and doesn't do. You don't have to buy the machine from that shop, if the price is too high. Once you find your dream machine, then look for the best price. Sometimes shops will have trade-ins, from people who decide to upgrade.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

I have had three Janomes and really love them. This is just something to think about. Several of my friends have recently purchased Kenmores to use for a second machine to carry to classes. Janome makes Kenmore as I understand. They LOVE them and the price was very reasonable. One of my friends has almost exclusively been using the Kenmore because it is so user friendly etc. The hard part is finding a Sears store which still carries sewing machines so you can try the various models. Donna

Blog Entries
    You have the best opinion right under your nose. Your Grandmother. Let her guide you to the best machine for what you need.
    Got fabric?

JT
    I'm a Janome user. I bought the 3160 QDC last year for sew days with friends and classes. I've had the 6500 - great machine, traded up to the 7700. I have not been disappointed with any of the Janome's I've owned. Currently on #4 and #5. If I were young, just starting out, the 3160 would be my choice. Big enough to do about anything, but light enough to take anywhere. Cost...about $500 - $600. Check with a Janome dealer for a used one for less, or a floor model (lightly used and fully warranteed). Good luck!
    JT

I would look for a Janome with dual feed dogs. Some models have them, and some don't. If the one you like is out of your price range, look for a good used one. You can save a bundle buying a good used machine, and your grandmother can help you guide you in the purchase. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by psquared52 View Post
    Definitely recommend a Janome!!

I agree! I love mine!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    I'm a Janome user. I bought the 3160 QDC last year for sew days with friends and classes. I've had the 6500 - great machine, traded up to the 7700. I have not been disappointed with any of the Janome's I've owned. Currently on #4 and #5. If I were young, just starting out, the 3160 would be my choice. Big enough to do about anything, but light enough to take anywhere. Cost...about $500 - $600. Check with a Janome dealer for a used one for less, or a floor model (lightly used and fully warranteed). Good luck!
    Great! Usually how much cheaper are floor models?

If it were me (which thankfully you are not because you would NEVER do something so devious ) I would tell my Grandmother I want a Janome because I like hers so much and I have heard great things about the new models they have brought out. When you get to the store talk your grandmother into upgrading and giving you her current machine!

A good solid machine,weighs more =better parts.Bernina
    Mary

Blog Entries
    Check out the Janome. Good machine, decent pricing.

Blog Entries
    may i throw another thought into the mix? first, please do consider a used machine. lots of times people buy them and never really use them. for christmas this past year, i bought my daughter-age 18, a used pfaff hobby 1016 off of ebay. i think, with shipping, i paid $70-. it's not a super fancy machine...but it was a pfaff made in europe and has a wonderful stitch quality to it. from all appearences, the machine was never really used. came with all accessories and attachments that were with it when sold new....

so, i think if you do some careful shopping, you might score a really good deal. and then, if there is any $ left over, maybe your grandparents will put it towards some sewing supplies/fabric/ect. what do you think? and best of luck to you---love hearing about teens sewing. would love for you to post some pics of what you have made!

betsey

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast