Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
JC Penney sold fabric? >

JC Penney sold fabric?

JC Penney sold fabric?

Old 02-04-2011, 01:36 PM

I moved here in 1980, too late for Penney's fabric department, but can clearly remember the wonderful fabrics that Sakowitz carried. I found the material for my first aboyne there.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:14 PM

I remember JCPenney Fabrics beingg in the basement in the late fifties went with an aunt who was a quilter. Don't remember when they stopped. :P
Old 02-04-2011, 02:16 PM

I remember JCPenney Fabrics beingg in the basement in the late fifties went with an aunt who was a quilter. Don't remember when they stopped. :P
Old 02-04-2011, 02:41 PM

My Mom worked at the J.C. Penney store in Phoenix,AZ in the fabric department. They clised the department in I beleave 1970.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:04 PM

Never knew about Penney's, but I do remember when Sears sold fabric.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:09 PM

Yes, I do remember when they sold fabric, but has to have been in the 60's or early 70's. Montgomery Wards did also for many years, but don't recall Sears ever having any.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:10 PM

Nothing like a blast from the past. First my friend posting pics of us in high school. Not Penneys fabrics. I remember my mom and I going to Penneys in the basement of their store in Santa Barbara, CA and buying fabric for me for sewing in home ec. That was when I was in junior high in the mid 60's. She didn't like Sears fabric as much but we got lots of fabric from Penneys as I was the oldest of 6 and my mom and I did alot of sewing. As did my dad's mom who lived there, too. Thanks for some more flashbacks!!
Old 02-04-2011, 03:11 PM

I remember Anthony's when we moved to Austin in 1953. It was in the Delwood Shopping Cntr.

I also remember our one and only Penny's back then. It was in downtown Austin, down on Congress Ave. in same block as Oscar Snowden's, a big appliance store where I bought my Pfaff 262 in 1968. Anyway, mother bought most of my school dresses there in that Penny's, if she didn't make them at home herself on her treadle. But what I do remember about the Penny's store is that the credit dept. was upstairs, and when you paid or charged it, the ticket and money was put in a capsule much like the drive up windows at the bank, only it rode up on a cable, not air pressure. Wow have we all sent ourselves down memory lane! I vaguely remember the fabric but it was there indeed because mother did buy some.

Originally Posted by Dina
I hated it when Penny's quit selling fabric. It has been a long time since I thought about it, but Sears and Anthony's were also places I used to enjoy buying fabric. Yeah, probably in the 70"s.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by amma
I remember Mom mail ordering fabric from Sears, Penny's and Montgomery Ward's.
When I was 10, she ordered fabric yardage that they offered that matched the bedspreads she ordered for my room. They had all kinds of different collections that belonged to different items they sold.
I am not sure when they stopped carrying fabric though :D:D:D

All these stores also carried fabrics in their catalogs. You could even buy a bedspread and order matching yardage to make curtains to match. Too bad these things are long gone. :thumbdown:
Old 02-04-2011, 03:52 PM

Yes, years ago, perhaps 30-40 years ago they had a wonderful fabric department similar to Hancocks today. I use to go there with my Mom alot to buy fabric. I can't quite put a year on when they quit this but I am thinking perhaps 1975. Boy am I dating myself...Yikes!