Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Jean Quilts

Do any of you make jean quilts, if so how do you make them

With sturdy needles! I have made a few small quilted items out of denim. Personally I like to make crazy quilts. I make purses out of children's jeans etc. They get very heavy but they last forever!

Denim is heavy so anything you can do to offset the corners is good. Rectangles are good then offset the corners (like a brick wall) or squares done like that is good. Then tie them, they're too heavy to quilt. You also might want to use a sheet blanket or very lightweight batting inside.

I make rag quilts with denim & flannel. I also saw a really cute denim crazy pieces quilt with some little pieces of velveteen (i think?) and it was tied rather then quilted, I assume because of the weight. If I can find a photo I will post as it was really cute. Search for 'circle denim quilt' and you'll find a nice pattern for a quilt from denim circles.

Quote Originally Posted by max's grandma

Blog Entries
    I have a collection of 6 1/2" squares of old jeans going.

Sorry haven't put them together.

I cut up a bunch of old jeans into 6.5" circles, 5 or 6 of hubby's old workshirts into 4.125" squares and some scraps of cotton batting into a smidge less than 4" squares and made a faux cathedral windows throw size quilt for hubby. He wanted something heavy to put over his achy legs at night. Here's where I got the idea: http://www.equilters.com/library/jea...gallbaros.html

There are some more ideas here: http://www.straw.com/quilting/articles/bluejeans.html

They are heavy though so I wouldn't recommend making one larger than sofa size so it can be washed easily. They make good car quilts, stadium blankets, picnic blankets and sleeping pads for toddlers.

Denim Faux Cathedral Windows Around the World
    Name:  Attachment-72491.jpe
Views: 7460
Size:  75.5 KB

BK, that is a gorgeous blanket! :) I think my mom made a simple blanket one time with just denim squares from old jeans - nothing too complex, but it was cool. :) I embroider my jeans, but that's about all I've done with them personally.

I have backed a quilt with denim, which I quilted by machine. Used a jeans needle and cotton batting. I really liked the way the quilting showed up on the denim, sort of sculptural.

So maybe try a couple of potholder-size quilt sandwiches and see how you like different combinations of batting and backing, etc.

I want to do another quilt with denim to keep in the trunk of my car, but I think it's pretty far down the list right now, and i need to save up more old jeans, anyway.

Aha, I found a picure of it. The center strip wasn't denim but a sort of canvas-type home dec fabric.

I made it using the quilt-as-you-go technique, and that may have helped keep it more manageable for machine quilting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I love your quilt! I looked at the site you gave us and am inspired to make one, too.

I have about 35 pairs of jeans in sizes that start at a woman's 16 and go down to a 4. I had been thinking that I would gain back the 60 pounds that I lost, so I've kept all of the sizes of jeans that I wore. My weight has been stable for almost two years now, so I think it is time to just cut them up and make a quilt!

Doctors found that I have some food sensitivities. When I eliminated corn and wheat from my diet, the pounds just vanished. Pretty amazing to have lived 62 years continuously fighting weight gain before finding this out. It sure would have been nice to know this in my 20s or 30s, better late than never, sigh.

Now, back to all those jeans...LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by BKrenning
    I cut up a bunch of old jeans into 6.5" circles, 5 or 6 of hubby's old workshirts into 4.125" squares and some scraps of cotton batting into a smidge less than 4" squares and made a faux cathedral windows throw size quilt for hubby. He wanted something heavy to put over his achy legs at night. Here's where I got the idea: http://www.equilters.com/library/jea...gallbaros.html

There are some more ideas here: http://www.straw.com/quilting/articles/bluejeans.html

They are heavy though so I wouldn't recommend making one larger than sofa size so it can be washed easily. They make good car quilts, stadium blankets, picnic blankets and sleeping pads for toddlers.

This is the most awesome jean circle I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by BKrenning

I made a jean quilt but I used the jean part as the "backing" and used a panel for the "front". I cut the jeans in 6" strips and sewed them end to end. Then I just cut them off at the length that I needed them to be and sewed the strips together lengthwise. I used a very thin batting and tied the quilt.

My DDIL offered to help me tie the quilt and asked who it was for. I told her it was for the back of my couch, but actually it was a birthday gift for her and my DS. (They have the same birthday!)

She was very surprised when I gave it to them and couldn't believe that she had even helped tie it and didn't know it was for them! LOL

front panel used for blue jean quilt
    Name:  Attachment-72578.jpe
Views: 966
Size:  130.8 KB

blue jean part of quilt
    Name:  Attachment-72579.jpe
Views: 366
Size:  90.2 KB

Blog Entries
    I do make jean quilts. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-53033-1.htm here is my link. I am still working on this

Blog Entries
    here's one I made 18 yrs ago. It lasted 17 yrs with my son until his pit bull decided he wanted the pillow that was underneath it and bit a huge hole in the center. Just too big to repair again. But it sure held up well until then.

Blue jeans quilt
    Name:  Attachment-72582.jpe
Views: 615
Size:  36.4 KB

Aorlflood - that's a really neat idea to use jeans for the back! :) I like the way it looks too.

Joanie - that's a gorgeous quilt, too bad about its demise.

I need to start saving my jeans! Thing is, I usually wear 'em until they're all thin and threadbare (sp?).

Banned
    Ya'll did some great things there. Love em all!

Well I have made 4. Unfortunately. The first I gave to a BF. It was in 4" squares. The next two were a little larger in about the 5" - 6" range.
    My oldest two boys who are 26 & 24. Got them. Used them for everything from camping to forts in the house and outside.
    I was not very discretionary on the blocks. Some of the pieces had little tears. And with each washing the holes got bigger and bigger.
    I backed them with heavy flannel. You will want a good quality flannel to make the test of time.
    I sewed with a $10.00 yard sale sewing machine. #16 needle. And lots of patience and thread.
    But the kids loved them.
    I didn't worry about seams. Just put it together and sewed.
    In fact I have some levi squares sitting around here somewhere. Maybe I will get them out and sew a new one.
    I have a birthday on Sunday.
    I think he was asking me the other day for a new one.
    I tied them rather than quilt them. Placing the tie in the middle of the patch.
    Thanks for reminding me.
    Good luck. Post pictures.

I made a D9P (Disappearing 9 Patch). I haven't put the back on yet, I thought I would save that part for winter.

My 1st Completed Top
    Name:  Attachment-72424.jpe
Views: 270
Size:  74.8 KB

Love the dissapearing 9 patch!

Blog Entries
    All those quilts are fantastic! I have 2 grown sons and a husband who wear practically nothing but jeans, so I am going to start saving them! I also think I will comb garage sales and thrift shops to gather more quickly! I would love to make that cathedral window version! Never done one, is that pattern hard????

Quote Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
    All those quilts are fantastic! I have 2 grown sons and a husband who wear practically nothing but jeans, so I am going to start saving them! I also think I will comb garage sales and thrift shops to gather more quickly! I would love to make that cathedral window version! Never done one, is that pattern hard????
    No, it was super easy & quilt as you go. You'll want to do it in sections though because it will be get heavy, very quickly.

I started to cut the circles out with scissors when I remembered a circle cutter I had bought years ago & never opened. That was a tremendous help & timesaver after hubby figured out how to use it properly. He got fascinated by it and cut at least half of the circles. He wasn't interested in cutting any of the squares, though.

As you collect jeans, do you cut the squares (and/or circles) out and save them like that or just stow the jeans away and cut when you're ready to make the quilt?

I have a pair I was debating whether to cut or not, and if so what would be a good size square to work with?

Cutting the size block out that you want will cut down on the amount that you store. How ever. I caution that as you cut. Leave out any pieces that are cut, have holes, or tears. As these leave a bigger hole when washed.
    Also watch the seams. On smaller jeans it is not to bad. But the double sewn seam on Levi and Wranglers can really give you some frustration. Trying to sew through them.
    Your stack/stash of levi will grow a lot faster than you will realize. Especially when your friends and family realize that you are saving.
    Cant wait to start cutting circles. I really like the cathedral levi. Ran across it two weeks ago. And downloaded the pattern.

Blog Entries
    Love the DP9. I think I might have to start collecting jeans again.

Thanks, I'm quite proud of it myself! I love my D9P, but would really like to try the cathedral window sometime in the future.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast