Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Jelly Roll question

Jelly Roll question

Hi! I've got a jelly roll that I want to do something with, but don't want to cut it because it's so pretty! Who hasn't been there? Anyhow, I've never done anything with a jelly roll. The pattern is all picked out, and it is scrappy. You take three strips and sew them together, then subcut the strips. I wondered if I could cut the original strips in half, then randomly combine three. Yes, it would be more work (not really much more), but the quilt would be scrappier. Please let me know what you think. Good idea, or dumb idea?

Thanks!
    Michele

Excellent idea.

Blog Entries
    if you are looking for scrappy, your idea would work well
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Please post a picture when done.
    Confirmed fabric-holic seeking 12 step treatment program or a storage building.

Sounds like a good idea. Do post pics if you can.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Great idea!!!

I don't see why it wouldn't work. I love working with pre-cuts.
    Heather

You have to crack eggs to make omelets!

Here's a link to another fre jelly roll quilt pattern. The link is to the supply list:

http://christaquilts.wordpress.com/2...t-supply-list/

I have a Christmas jelly roll quilt I am planning to use for this.

Love that quilt idea as well as the one that craftyheart2 posted. It would work just fine and, because the blocks would be 6 1/2 unfinished, you will only get 6 from a WOF. So cutting the WOF in half should not alter then number of blocks you will get from the jelly roll. Make sure you post a picture when you are done!!
    Betty

A quilt will warm your body and comfort your soul.

http://notesfrommoosehaven.blogspot.com

Banned
    you don't say what pattern you are making. However, let us assume you are sewing the three strips and then sub cut into squares.
    If this is the case, then: Stack the jelly roll up and cut in half.
    Take the top of the right stack and put it on the bottom then select from the two stacks three strips and sew. Set aside. Take two from left side and put on bottom and select three 1/2 strips and sew and set aside.....continue this pattern which will mix up the strips. Then you have scrappy.

Thanks everyone! The quilt was a freebie, and it was just called Jelly Roll Quilt. It was created by Sally Ablet, who designs for Fabric Freedom in the U.K. I love the colors she used. She used a "Noodles" roll, which looks like it is equivalent to our jelly rolls. Here's the pattern - http://www.craft-fabrics.com/fabric-...rn-p-2418.html

Incidentally, I cut the strips into 22" pieces, then randomly selected the fabrics. I love the blocks. My sister, who lives in a different state, has the same jelly roll I used (Tide Pools by Moda). It was her idea to do the same quilt using the same fabrics, to see how differently they turn out. She liked the pattern I selected, so it was decided. I spent the weekend sewing, and love what I see! Tomorrow I am going to buy the fabric for the half-squre triangles, but I wanted the blocks for color matching. I sewed what was left after I cut out the 3-6 1/2" blocks together, and now I have a strip to take to the fabric store that shows all of the colors I used to make the quilt top.

Anyhow, that's my update!