Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jelly Roll Quilt Problems >

Jelly Roll Quilt Problems

Jelly Roll Quilt Problems

Old 02-18-2011, 03:42 PM

I have been quilting for about 15 years and my quilts always come out needing very little trimming to square up EXCEPT for the two jelly roll quilts that I've made! Does anyone else ever have problems with them? I press the seams, don't iron them, my 1/4 inch seams are not always perfect but not so that I would be off by inches. One friend says the fabric looks like the strips aren't cut on the grain. The one I just finished was a quick one to put some applique on and give to my grand daughter, not to be a masterpiece, just something cute! What do you think I'm doing wrong?
Old 02-18-2011, 03:46 PM

It does not sound like you are doing anything wrong. I hope that the big fabric companies pay more attention to keeping their fabrics on grain. I used to sell fabric and I remember someone telling me that they put the fabrics on the bolts while they are still wet sometimes and will get pulled out of shape. This was some years ago, so I don't know if they are still doing this. Anyone from a fabric manufacturer on here?
Old 02-18-2011, 03:56 PM

i have seen alot of jelly roles that were not cut very good if it is not straight before you sew it is not going to be straight after
Old 02-18-2011, 04:17 PM

Recently, I purchased jelly rolls from JoAnns. When I started working with them I noticed that some were not an even width all the way down. Some "zig zagged" along like they were folded and not cut perpendicular to the fold. Some had ragged edges because the fabric was creased and was not straightened out before cutting. And that was all in one jelly roll!!!
I called Joanns, and even though I had already started sewing some of them together (tube quilt), they took them back and gave me a full refund.
So, before you start using them, lay them together and make sure they are the same sizes and straight!!
Old 02-18-2011, 04:26 PM
Banned

I have had somewhat the same problem and I solved it by measuring the finished width of the strip and made sure the finished size was correct. This made some of the seems less than 1/4" but it worked.
You have to measure and keep measuring to make sure all is going to come out correct.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:35 PM

Using a Moda Jelly Roll right now. Its the first one I've ever used. I starched the heck out of them and havent had a problem. You might try that. I lay mine out on my ironing surface 9 at a time and spray till soaked and let air dry or almost dry then press, I seem to get less stretching and flaking that way. When I say press I mean I just set my iron on top of the fabric wait a few seconds and then pick up and move to the next section. I have notices while layering them for cutting that they were a little off but not enough to make a differnce.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:39 PM

I've noticed the jelly rolls I've bought haven't necessarily been 2 1/2 inches.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:05 PM

Never have a problem with Moda Jelly rolls!! I think you have to be a little selective when buying!!IMHO!!!
Old 02-19-2011, 07:27 PM

Fortunately, I have bought only 3 jelly rolls. All Moda.