Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
jelly roll race with Persimmon by Basic Grey? small quilt suggestions? >

jelly roll race with Persimmon by Basic Grey? small quilt suggestions?

jelly roll race with Persimmon by Basic Grey? small quilt suggestions?

Old 09-23-2015, 06:32 AM

Default jelly roll race with Persimmon by Basic Grey? small quilt suggestions?

My aunt has MS and spends most of her day seated. Right now she is recovering from a severe kidney infection (dialysis severe) and some other problems that have had her in the hospital and rehab facilities for almost two months. She might get to go home soon though!

Before her recent illness she had pretty limited mobility, and the resulting weakness from the infection has taken a toll. She is still working to get her mobility back, so she is in a wheel chair most of the time now. With the weather getting colder I thought it would be nice to make a quilt for her, especially since she lives several hours away (in the chilly mountains) and I haven't been able to visit her. Sending a quilt seems like a nice way to let her know we are thinking of her.

(and if anyone has size suggestions... she is in a power chair because her left arm and leg are all but paralyzed, and when they go out they often use a transfer chair that her husband pushes)

So, backstory out of the way...

I am trying to decide what the best option is... and if I can finagle something mostly out of my stash. I like doing intricate (or at least non-boring/non-common) things, so I always struggle when it is time to find a fast/simple quilt.

I have a Persimmon jelly roll that has no plan, I only bought it because I like the line. Do you think that is too masculine for a quilt for her though? Has anyone made a jelly roll race with it? I have never made a jelly roll race, so I am having trouble envisioning the finished quilt.

I have some charm packs, but the trouble is that most are singles, and the only ones I have two packs of are Miss Kate and Persimmon. Most charm pack quilts seem to need at least 2 packs, usually 3, for the size quilt I would need though. Unless someone has ideas I haven't found?

I have 20 fat eighths of a Art Gallery Fabrics' Cultivate... but I am at a loss for fat eighth patterns.

I have a 40 fat eighth bundle of Day Sail as well... but not sure that fabric is right for this either. And, again, don't know what the heck to do with fat eighths.

I also have a couple layer cakes... one is Juggling Summer, and the other is Surrounded by Love... but I think the Love cake is too valentinesy.

Thanks!! I really appreciated your time and suggestions... I have been going in circles trying to figure this out.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:14 AM
Power Poster

Not a lap quilt, but it takes a jelly roll and might be something to consider
http://www.modabakeshop.com/2010/08/pure-comfort.html
for other ideas for jelly rolls, visit Moda's bake shop:
http://www.modabakeshop.com/category/jelly-roll
Old 09-23-2015, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

at quilt guild last night, a member showed a jelly roll race quilt that was cut top to bottom about 2/3 the way across. inserted in the space was two vertical rows of charms. it looked really great and cut up the horizontal lines well. i think this would work well for you.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
at quilt guild last night, a member showed a jelly roll race quilt that was cut top to bottom about 2/3 the way across. inserted in the space was two vertical rows of charms. it looked really great and cut up the horizontal lines well. i think this would work well for you.
What an interesting idea! And I do have a couple charm packs and a jelly roll of Persimmon I will have to give this one some serious thought.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Not a lap quilt, but it takes a jelly roll and might be something to consider
http://www.modabakeshop.com/2010/08/pure-comfort.html
for other ideas for jelly rolls, visit Moda's bake shop:
http://www.modabakeshop.com/category/jelly-roll
I was actually going through their site when I saw your message pop up

That is a good idea as well! I hadn't thought about a shawl. That might be good for when she is sitting out on the deck.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:28 AM

No real help from me... just wanted to say I love the persimmon line as well, especially the little birds!
Old 09-23-2015, 09:38 AM

Fat Quarter shop has some YouTube videos that use fat eighths. Can't remember the names right now but they looked quick and easy.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:59 AM

I finally made a decision! Thanks for helping guys!