Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Jelly Roll Rugs

Jelly Roll Rugs

Has anyone who made a jelly roll rug (either the oval or the rectangular style) washed them? If you have, how did it look after washing?

Thanks for any information. I've got batting scraps and fabric I would cut into strips.

I would like to know about washing them. I have lots of fabric and batting to use up!

I just made one up yesterday that I cut from yardage and threw it in front of my kitchen sink so it won't be long and it will need to go in the washing machine. I used a variety of fabrics types, some batiks, some quilt shop quality cottons, and some cheaper cottons, so I'm interested also in how they will all play together when washed. The rug itself came out very flat and needed hardly any pressing. My machine is in quilters dream cabinet and I think that helps much. Also one piece of advice when going around the oval ends in the very beginning, it is important to ease in fullness on the outside round. I needed to do that for at least the first 6 rounds.

I've made a few. Finally washed one - it turned out fine and didn't kill my washer. LOL

Thanks very much, Sewgood. That is good to know. I have a large front loader, so hadn't even thought about whether it was good for the washer or not! My focus was entirely on the rug, and you have answered my question. Thanks again.

Could someone post a picture of their rug? I'd love to see what one looks like.

Rug pics

Here are a couple Iíve made. I have 2 oval ones also but theyíre on another computer. Iíll post them tomorrow if I can.
    Attached Images Attached Images

More pics

I found them....the white rug is made from an ugly panel I cut up. The other is from a jelly roll.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your great rugs make me want to do one-soon. Those are really great and I appreciate the comment about washing it. The question that is in my mind has to do with whether it 'stays put' on the floor. We have hardwood floors in our kitchen and I have 3 places that show wear on the floor; in front of the sink, stove and refrigerator.

I love the posted photos - they're all beautiful. Now I want to make one too - I have a lot of pastel strips that would be a great addition to give for a baby shower along with a baby quilt.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

What do you use it the middle of the strips?

Just think of all the ugly fabric we could find a use for! The photos are beautiful.
    I'm making one right now but mine is rectangular. Freckles- you use batting cut the same way as the strips. I bought some ready cut but next time I'll probably just cut my own.

I practiced and made several placemats. it sure is tedious prep work.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Cotton batting strips

I think you’d have to put some of that non slip stuff underneath. Mine are laying on carpet. The one is covering my long arm cord that lays across the floor.

I timed myself on the multi colored oval rug. I had the batting strips cut (from leftover batting pieces). It took me 5 hours and 5 minutes from start to finish. I time things....I’m weird that way. LOL

Quilt in a Day has the pattern for either of the rugs on sale for $7.00, I just ordered one yesterday.
    Maria
    Always be true to yourself!

I've never thought I wanted to make a rug, but have changed my mind when I saw your rugs. Am rethinking this. Lovely rugs.

I watched the video a couple days ago and thought it to be a fun project. It does look like it would take a bit of fussy work preparing it for sewing though. I am not so sure about the washing instructions and I have not even thought about the backing. But, I do have some of the waffle non-skid in the garage.

The cord under a rug could cause a fire. I am just saying, that is what I always have heard.
    Last edited by RedGarnet222; 07-07-2018 at 08:28 AM.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Blog Entries
    where does the batting go? These rugs are very lovely.

The biggest "problem" I had when washing my rug of braided cotton strips was DRYING TIME! A few hot days in a row with it lying flat on the deck left me with a flatter rug than trying to tumble dry.
    Retired math teacher --
    I CAN FIGURE IT OUT!

I only have the rug on the cord, not near the plug. I'm the only one who wanders around in there, but I will keep an eye on it. Thanks for the warning though.

You put the fabric strip and batting strip together and
    fold it like bias tape is folded. It's easy when you get the hang of it...just sort of "fiddly".
    I taught a class this morning and it's so cool to see how different everyone's rug looks.

I just made a jelly roll rug and it turned out fantastic. My question is what do you use on the back to keep it from sliding? I had thought about using the Rubbermaid shelf-liner, but someone said they thought there was a special product to use for these rugs....Anyone have any suggestions or know of this "special" product...?
    Have an inspring day!
    Sandi

Quote Originally Posted by quiltsillysandi View Post
    I just made a jelly roll rug and it turned out fantastic. My question is what do you use on the back to keep it from sliding? I had thought about using the Rubbermaid shelf-liner, but someone said they thought there was a special product to use for these rugs....Anyone have any suggestions or know of this "special" product...?
    https://www.overstock.com/shop/Home-...+slip+rug+pads
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight