Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jelly Roll >

Jelly Roll

Jelly Roll

Old 08-19-2009, 08:22 PM

Hi Everyone!

Thank you for all your replies - they all helped very much. I am a new quilter so it was great to see a forum with so many positive, supportive members.

I think I will try and visit a few local quilt shops and see if they have the fabric I am missing. I may also just buy the complete 40-strip jelly roll from Moda distributors and keep the extra strips for collection or swap. I can always have more pretty fabric!
The particular line I bought is called Gypsy Rose...there were 2 strips of each fabric so, after some research, I found that I am missing many of the kinds of fabrics in this line. The ebay seller I bought my jelly roll can only offer to sell me another roll of the same fabrics, so I am not interested.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:27 PM

Hi Eddie!

Yes! I really enjoy flipping through Pam and Nicky Lintott's Jelly Roll Quilts, it has been tempting me for a few months before I finally decided to buy it and take the plunge of making my first quilt. It was tough to decide between Jelly Roll Quilts and, their other book, Layer Cake, Jelly Roll, and Charm quilts.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:14 AM
alimaui

I have come to love jelly rolls. And the MODA JELLY ROLLS have 40. This is if they are MODA precuts and not someone else cutting them. There are many pop shops on ebay that cut and sell their own jelly rolls, but technically, I believe Jelly Roll is a term that is owned by Moda, but used generally for the rolls of 2.5 strips, often like the KLEENEX situtation. Kleenex (uppercase K) only comes in Kleenex boxes, but tissue comes in all sorts of different brands. Many times all generally referred to as kleenex (lowercase).

While the buyer is responsible for reading the terms of the agreement, you might be able to push the envelope as far the seller listing a trademark item, and selling a non trademarked item as Moda owns the term (referring to fabric). Hence the reason, in the indroduction to your Lintott book that they thank Moda for allowing them to use the Jelly Roll Title. This would possibly fall under the listing agreement rules for the seller, or for non performing seller rules.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:06 AM

Charm packs also vary the number of charms. I always check for the number in a pack.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:50 AM

Wow! Very informative post. Thanks ladies. I have been interested in Jelly Rolls for some time and now I know to be very careful in my purchase.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:29 AM

This is very useful. Thank you all for this wonderful information.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:51 AM

I may be wrong but I think 'jelly roll' may be proprietary to Moda fabric lines. I don't see that term used by other manufacturers. Figtreequilts.com has a beautiful Jelly Roll star that is quite different from the usual jelly roll patterns. I am making it and it is mildly challenging and FUN.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:14 AM

Older thread, I know, but wanted to chime in...

Jelly roll just refers to the look of the roll, i.e., the rolled up fabric. Jelly rolls aren't proprietary to Moda and they can be 2.5", 2", 1.5", 1", and I've even seen 4" jelly rolls. 10, 15, 20, 30, 40 strips and odd numbers are also not uncommon.

Just make sure you read the description on the product, especially on eBay. Sellers there take a lot of liberty on what they'll call a jelly roll - also check the pictures there closely, since a lot of eBay sellers hand or rotary cut their own rolls and may not have the most accurate cuts.