Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jelly roll variation question >

Jelly roll variation question

Jelly roll variation question

Old 03-01-2015, 08:22 AM

Default Jelly roll variation question

I saw a picture of a jelly roll quilt variation (can't find it now) and it had two vertical cuts from the right side after it was all sewn toghther.....then white fabric was added to each side of the narrower vertical cut. That piece was then flipped upside down and sewn back on to the main piece. The other cut was then sewn back on but right side up like the main part. What I'm looking for is the measurement of the widths of the two vertical cuts since they were not equal.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:26 AM
Power Poster

Sounds really interesting. I hope someone can come up with the info. It sounds like this could help solve the problem of my jelly roll quilts not coming out in a proportion that is pleasing to me.
Hmm found this one:
http://texaslovely.com/strip-flip-ombre-baby-quilt/

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 03-01-2015 at 08:28 AM.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Sounds really interesting. I hope someone can come up with the info. It sounds like this could help solve the problem of my jelly roll quilts not coming out in a proportion that is pleasing to me.
Hmm found this one:
i like that one. if i did that, i think i'd prefer that the colors are organized like that
Old 03-01-2015, 09:52 AM

Yes I saw that one. It was a segment on the Fons & Porter show done by Jenny Doan of MSQC. She folded the completed JRR in half then half again (or was it in thirds?) parallel with the strips. Then she took a very large scallop shaped ruler and laid it on the folded quilt and cut the arc shape which went from fold to fold so that there were 4 of them (or 3?) when opened up. Then she laid both sides of the cut quilt pieces onto the white fabric and machine appliqued down so it ended up with a cool looking white section about 1/3rd of the way in from the edge but running all the way down the quilt. I think she used white squares between each strip too. It was a very striking quilt! Maybe Jenny has a video of that one. You might try looking it up on youtube.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Hmm found this one:
Thank you paper princess...the site you identified had a link to cluck cluck sew which had the tutorial. Now I can finish it up.cuts were at 8" and 5" and the strips were 1-1/2 inches wide but I'm going to cut them at 2 1/2.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:24 AM

I really like the tutorial at Cluck Cluck Sew. http://www.cluckclucksew.com/2012/07...aby-quilt.html I have been wanting to make a jelly roll quilt and this fits the bill perfectly!