Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Are jelly rolls pre-shrank? >
  • Are jelly rolls pre-shrank?

• Are jelly rolls pre-shrank?

Old 07-01-2010, 06:56 AM

I found a clearance jelly roll (yea me) my new quilt magazine has a neat pattern, so I'm ready to go......(except the projects I'm working on)....and...I'm not sure how this little monster works, the roll is baticks and I'm not sure if they are pre shrank, I know I'm suppose to be an experianced quilter, but I've always felt pre-cut was cheating, but thats just a load of hog manure, its just saving me alot of time cutting strip after strip!! Does anyone have any advice? I've found 2 strips that were too narrow, maby thats the reason for the clearance
    Old 07-01-2010, 06:58 AM

No, they are NOT preshrunk. You'll have to plan on them shrinking a bit after you piece and wash them.
    Old 07-01-2010, 06:59 AM
    Power Poster

I don't think they are pre washed. I don't wash mine but if you want to you can wash them in the sink. They could shred away in the washing machine.
    Old 07-01-2010, 07:02 AM

Generally, all jelly rolls are not pre-washed and should NOT be washed prior to piecing as they would ravel into a big ball of yuck. I'm guessing this is a Hoffman batik jelly roll? I have read threads on here about them not being cut as accurately as one would have hoped. I think the packaging even warns of it, oddly.

We're on vacation in Destin, FL, and went to a quilt shop down here that had some jelly rolls on clearance for $20 each, so I snatched them up as well. Love a bargain!
    Old 07-01-2010, 07:04 AM
    Power Poster

I wouldn't prewash them either :D:D:D
    Old 07-01-2010, 07:28 AM
    Power Poster

when you wash the FINISHED quilt be sure and use a color-catcher sheet also, batik's do tend to bleed a bit (sometimes) so be prepared, but it would be a hastle to try to wash the strips ahead of time. i used a couple bali-pops in a quilt, (and boy, they were expensive, i didn't find a deal) and when i washed the quilt it looks as if 1 of them ran...only 1 and only a little but enough to (stain) my cream colored back...so now i have purchased a box of color catchers (in the laundry department with the bounce sheets) and am ready to try to fix the problem :( i did not have any issues with shrinkage though. i think with good quality batik's you really don't get the shrinkage problem because they are washed so many times in hot water during the dying process, removing the wax.