Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jelly Rolls - Unroll or Not?

Blog Entries

Jelly Rolls - Unroll or Not?

I've purchased several Moda Jelly Rolls and was just wondering ... until you use them, do you keep them rolled up or do you unroll? I'm really wanting to unroll them just to look at the wonderful fabrics , but at the same time, leaving them rolled saves so much space. What do you do? Also, how do you store them? Mine are just in drawers.
    Kerry
    ~ American by birth, Southern by the grace of God ~

I leave them in the roll. I love to admire them.
    What I make with my hands, I give with my heart.

Blog Entries
    If you unroll them you can't roll them back up without the roll looking a mess. The strips will stay flat and wrinkle free if left rolled up until ready to use. I keep mine in a big basket. I love how it looks in my sewing room. Makes me smile when I see them.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    Everyone has good advice, but how do you resist??? LOL

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Some are so pretty I'm not sure I could EVER unroll them! I love the rainbow solids.

Blog Entries
    When I use a jelly roll I always buy another one to replace it. Not the same fabric though.
    Got fabric?

They are so pretty rolled up that I wouldn't unroll until it was time to use them.

Blog Entries
    Well, I believe that answers it for me! I have a very pretty basket in the garage that would just need dusting off. Looks like it has a new purpose now, to hold those beautiful Jelly Rolls! Thanks so much for your responses!
    Kerry

It is so hard not to unroll them to look at the beautiful fabrics. I have unrolled them .. and gotten them back to sort of look like they just came from the store.

They are beautiful, but after several rolls, I decided to make my own. I can wash the fabric first and also I'll know the strips are straight. The downside is I probably won't have as many choices as the rolls do.

Blog Entries
    You can see all the fabrics as you rotate. I keep mine rolled up after I did undo one and found I kept taking a few strips etc to use for binding or to put in another quilt. " I wouldn't notice one or two going" ah ah I used the whole roll except for 2 I didn't like.
    Keep rolled so you don't do as I did.
    Finished is better than a UFO

so far, mine are just stacked on my bookshelf... thinking I need to hunt down a pretty basket. I do NOT unroll them, because I know me... they would just end up a huge wrinkly mess... (I love the idea of replacing one you use with a new one!!!)

I have not purchaed many but I have left them in a roll.

I think the only logical thing would be to always buy an extra - one for use and one for display....hahaha! Admit it, you thought about it!

Blog Entries
    I unrolled one to pet and ended up regretting it. It frayed a bit and there was fabric dust everywhere, and no matter how I tried I could not get it rolled back up nicely. Now I leave them rolled up until I'm ready to use it.

I just bought 4 jelly rolls at Big Lots in a pretty blues/browns/creams combination of colors - on clearance at only $5 each! As soon as I got them home, I unrolled them and put them over the rungs of an old ladder I keep against the wall in my studio. I love to look at all the fabrics included in them - makes me happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Onetomatoplant View Post
    I think the only logical thing would be to always buy an extra - one for use and one for display....hahaha! Admit it, you thought about it!
    Being a "logical" person, I agree 100 %
    sapdoggie

Life is full of many pieces- why not quilt?

Debbie C- That is a great idea Not only do they add color to the room, you can see what you have and pull as needed.
    sapdoggie

Life is full of many pieces- why not quilt?

Blog Entries
    I have not unrolled them, but if I did, I would hang them up on a hanger I think since I know I wouldn't get them rolled back like they were.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I have lots of Jelly Rolls and I unrolled my favorite and now it's a mess!!! I'll never do that again!!! I'll wait until I actually need it.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I love my Jelly Rolls, however, as much as I would like to unroll them, check them out, pet them, etc. I don't because I am sure I could not get them back in a roll again. Regarding the lint that Peckish talked about, I just saw a hint on the Moda Bake Shop and it said to run a Lint Roller over the edges to remove all the "fuzz" before unrolling it.

Blog Entries
    Oh my gosh, I am soooooooo jealous. Makes me want to run right out to check my Big Lots! I never seem to find buys like that. I'm afraid if I found them at my Big Lots, I'd end up buying all they had for that price! Good for you! And oh, your ladder idea sounds great. I know it looks pretty!

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie C View Post
    I just bought 4 jelly rolls at Big Lots in a pretty blues/browns/creams combination of colors - on clearance at only $5 each! As soon as I got them home, I unrolled them and put them over the rungs of an old ladder I keep against the wall in my studio. I love to look at all the fabrics included in them - makes me happy!
    Kerry

Blog Entries
    Love the idea of using the lint roller. I never seem to think of clever things to do like that. But I love reading those hints, and that sounds like a really good one!

Quote Originally Posted by Passionate Quilter View Post
    I love my Jelly Rolls, however, as much as I would like to unroll them, check them out, pet them, etc. I don't because I am sure I could not get them back in a roll again. Regarding the lint that Peckish talked about, I just saw a hint on the Moda Bake Shop and it said to run a Lint Roller over the edges to remove all the "fuzz" before unrolling it.
    Kerry

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I try to be very careful when I unroll them, trying not to totally unroll. Then I roll back up and secure as I go them.

I unroll them, spray starch and iron them and hang them on a hanger so I can admire all the colors. By doing this they are ready to be used and visible for selection.
    Jeri

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast