Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jo-Ann's >

Jo-Ann's

Jo-Ann's

Old 02-02-2011, 10:53 PM

The Joanne in my area is more a craft store than anything else. They have very little fabric (not very high quality at that). I'm lucky that I have lots of good quality quilt stores and a Hancock that I use for home decor and other sewing needs. I wonder why such a difference in Joanne stores?
Old 02-02-2011, 11:40 PM

Joann's is all we have left.
When I moved to this town 5 years ago, before I really started sewing. We had everything. Beverly's was the first to go, then Hancock's and then some smaller LQSs went under, and then Walmart took out their fabric. So all we have left is Joann's and 1 very small LQS that is pretty pricey.
I have to contend with Los Angeles traffic to get anything else, and since I tend to work on projects last minute and always underestimate what I need - that leaves our JoAnn's (which also has a small fabric selection compared to others).
Old 02-03-2011, 07:35 AM

Where in Mississippi are they opening a Jo-Ann's?
Old 02-03-2011, 07:40 AM

It has happened here and now we have an even larger WalMart being built nearby. I've also read on a thread here that WalMart is adding fabric and supposedly better fabric into their stores. They are all we have locally - LQS are all an hour away and JoAnn's and HL are half an hour.

Originally Posted by jdiane318
What I find odd about this, and it isn't just occurring in your area, but Walmart runs the small shops out of business because they can't compete, then the quality of fabric goes down at Walmart, people quit buying it there, Walmart decides to do away with the fabric. I am fortunate to live where fabric is easily accessible, we have Joann's Hobby Lobby, Hancock's, several LQS, fabric shops and even some Walmart's that still carry fabric. I feel bad for the small towns who used to have a dry goods store to purchase fabric and Walmart put them out of business. With gas prices being so high, how does one afford or even justify the cost of travelling in addition to purchasing fabric.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltDraggon
Where in Mississippi are they opening a Jo-Ann's?
Tupelo, in the old Goody's building.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:20 AM

Joanns lost me. They fired the managers and brouth in all new. The newbies don't sew and don't care. Don't even smile or greet. No one is friendly, helpful or even nice. If you have a problem you are told to talk to 'corperate.' Telling a customer to talk to corperate is the same as flagging them off. I'm so disappointed as I have spent $$$$s there.