Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
JoAnn's vs Hobby Lobby >

JoAnn's vs Hobby Lobby

JoAnn's vs Hobby Lobby

Old 06-25-2020, 09:06 AM
Power Poster

If I need something from that type of store I pass by the Hobby Lobby and drive to the JoAnn Fabrics. I can usually get what I am looking for.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:44 AM
Power Poster

I find Robert Kaufman fabric at Hobby Lobby and a few other name brands, they are all mixed in. Reading the end of the bolts will give you all the info . The name brand fabrics are the same no matter where they are sold, just different prices. JoAnn fabrics are marked up to as high as 100-500% profit margin. I was looking for jersey knit and at Joann it was $9.99 a yard. The very same knit, same bolt, same manufacturer, same color, at Walmart was $1.98 a yard. I did not buy from Joann.
Old 06-25-2020, 12:43 PM

I'm very lucky in that we have a family-owned regional craft chain called Craft Warehouse and they are *excellent*. They beat the pants off both HL and Joann's. They carry quilt shop quality fabrics, notions, they even have activities and clubs not just for quilters, but for other crafters as well, such as beading, painting, paper crafting, etc. If you are ever in the PNW, see if you can stop by.
Old 06-25-2020, 12:56 PM

I find JA and HL very comparable in fabrics. HL's $6.99 fabric is no better than JA's Keepsake. I recently had to throw away a yard of HL fabric and I never have JA's. Both have some better fabrics. HL even has some Northcutt. Probably older stock, but that's okay. I prefer LQS, but unless it's on clearance, I don't buy a lot there. I do buy Northcutt solids at my LQS - they are the best, IMO.
Old 06-25-2020, 12:57 PM

I also prefer Hobby Lobby over Joann's. Nicer staff and they honor their coupons. I receive lots of Joann coupons, but most of the time Joann's won't honor them for one reason or another. I feel like Joann's coupons are just to draw people in the store with idea that after waiting in line for 20 minutes or more, most customers will just cave in an pay the regular price when the coupons are denied.
Old 06-25-2020, 01:01 PM
Power Poster

I was cheated on price at JAs once and I won't go back. They tried cheating my Daughter too and she caught them. She still goes there.

So, I go to Hobby Lobby and never get cheated. I also buy fabrics and battings from Wal Mart. I love both stores and don't care what personal opinions are.
Old 06-25-2020, 02:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I'm very lucky in that we have a family-owned regional craft chain called Craft Warehouse and they are *excellent*. They beat the pants off both HL and Joann's. They carry quilt shop quality fabrics, notions, they even have activities and clubs not just for quilters, but for other crafters as well, such as beading, painting, paper crafting, etc. If you are ever in the PNW, see if you can stop by.
There is a Craft Warehouse in Salem, Oregon. I visited there several times when I lived in Oregon. I found some good sales there.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:22 PM

I'm finding it difficult to shop at either store since they have each changed their coupon discount. JAF has the quilting cottons at 30% off so of course you can't use the coupon and Hobby Lobby changed their 40% off every other week to 25%. I really hope they go back to the 40. I have been looking for solid navy blue fabric for over six weeks and couldn't find any at either store, even trying to get some online was impossible. It's a little harder to make gifts for people right now!
Old 07-02-2020, 01:18 PM

I was traveling last week and shopped at Joann's, Hobby Lobby, and Craft Warehouse. The Joann's was fairly well stocked and I picked up two half yard pieces for $6 total. I loved both patterns but the quality was very different. I work small and do a lot of scrappy quilts so the quality isn't a huge issue, but I don't understand beautiful prints on terrible fabric. It's such a waste!

I found much better quality at Hobby Lobby but was disappointed at the 25% discount. It used to be 30%. I was able to get some canvas prints for outdoor pillows on clearance so I walked away happy.

I had heard great things about Craft Warehouse so I stopped at the one in Medford, OR, conveniently next to a Joanns. I was so disappointed. The fabric was in flat folds at locations throughout the store so it was hard to look through, but the worst was that the fabric was really dated and at $7.99 a yard seemed pricy to me. I'd seen the same fabrics online for $4.99 a yard. The store was also dark, junked up, and frankly, not very clean. I won't go back.

I'm waiting and hoping that our LQS will reopen soon. I was able to do curbside pickup with them, but now they're closed with no sign of reopening. I'm afraid that we're going to lose a lot of local quilt shops. So sad.
Old 07-02-2020, 03:02 PM

I get overwhelmed in Hobby Lobby, too big and a lot of stuff I have no idea what it’s for. Plus they have a ton of candles and stuff that smells. It’s like pumpkin cinnamon, lavender, etc.