Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: John Flynn Quilt Frame

I'm considering the "John Flynn Quilt Frame" and would like to hear some pros and cons.

Blog Entries

I have the older version of the Flynn Frame - the one with the 2x2" wooden rollers (not the fiberglas rollers of the newer version). To be honest, I have never been able to get the hang of using it. Plus, I sew in a very small space, and you need lots of space to move the frame around, even with a small lap-sized quilt.

I keep meaning to post my frame on the Classifieds to see if anyone wants it... thanks for reminding me.

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaC
    I have the older version of the Flynn Frame - the one with the 2x2" wooden rollers (not the fiberglas rollers of the newer version). To be honest, I have never been able to get the hang of using it. Plus, I sew in a very small space, and you need lots of space to move the frame around, even with a small lap-sized quilt.

I keep meaning to post my frame on the Classifieds to see if anyone wants it... thanks for reminding me.
    How much do you want for it? PM me.

I have John Flynn's first quilt frame he came out with got mine form Nancy's Notions.I only used it once, at that time I didn't have a table the right height to set it and my machine then only had a foot petal control. I had a cutting table but it was to high to sit at and we needed the kitchen table to eat off of or so DH said. LOL. I have the strips on the rods etc. Need to sell mine cheap as I have found a great machine quilter and her charges are reasonable. I can't afford to pay over 300.00 to have a large quilt done. By the time you buy the fabric,batting etc you have almost 500.00 invested in the quilt if quilting runs that high. I live in Missouri and some charge .03 per square inch, so a king or queen is going to run 300.00 or more, my sister in CA only pays half that which suprised me, usually everything is higher there.

I bought a John Flynn Frame a couple of years ago, and must say that I don't care for it at all. It just seems awkward to me.

lol, I have one too, but am too lazy to figure out what it would cost to mail it to someone. It's such an odd shape for shipping.

Blog Entries
    It works great for me. I use two six foot tables end to end for big quilts. It takes practice. I kept it set up and used it everyday for at least 30 min. a day. I got the Oh that's how you do it moment and it's been a piece of cake since. Compared to other quilting set ups it's the least investment you can have.

Blog Entries
    The post office has the long boxes and mailing tubes on their website that can be delivered to your house for free.

I had one several years ago, couldnt get the pvc pipes to stay on the table, so hubby drilled holes at each corner of the frame and put casters in there.... which helped alot.
    Ive since bought a longarm and gave my JF frame away

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    The post office has the long boxes and mailing tubes on their website that can be delivered to your house for free.
    yep, I need to get over my laziness. I'll check out the USPS site. Thanks ;-)

Unfortunately the USPS tubes are not long enough for the frame. I have the old-style wooden one, and the poles alone measure 42" long. The largest tube from USPS is 38". I guess you'd have to buy a box from the UPS Store or an office supply place.

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaC
    Unfortunately the USPS tubes are not long enough for the frame. I have the old-style wooden one, and the poles alone measure 42" long. The largest tube from USPS is 38". I guess you'd have to buy a box from the UPS Store or an office supply place.
    yep, I noticed that too. Back to being lazy ;-)

Blog Entries
    I think the wooden ones would be better but the new ones are very lightweight and easier to roll to quilt.

My daughter bought me a frame and she bought one for herself. She is going to set hers up on a pool table but my house is too small for a large quilt. I haven't used it yet but there is a video on his site that shows how to use it. The video comes with the frame. I can see it will take a lot of practice so I plan on practicing on some charity quilts and place mats. First I need to get another machine as I am sewing on mine now and can't spare it.
    Lynda

Quote Originally Posted by Old hen
    I'm considering the "John Flynn Quilt Frame" and would like to hear some pros and cons.

I have one and love it. Once you get the hang of it, you can go to town quilting on it. It takes me less than two hours to finish a lap quilt. Don't care for the stitching the leader to the quilt, takes too long. So now, after seeing how long armers pin the quilt to the leader, it's so much easier.

Have one, too. Didn't much care for it.

Quote Originally Posted by whinnytoo
    I had one several years ago, couldnt get the pvc pipes to stay on the table, so hubby drilled holes at each corner of the frame and put casters in there.... which helped alot.
    Ive since bought a longarm and gave my JF frame away
    Can you give me a little more info on what your hubby did here? I have one of these too and think I could eventually learn to like it, but can't seem to keep the pipes where they need to stay....my hubby already made me 3 different sizes of other pipes, so I really need to get the hang of using it....any info would be appreciated. I'm not sure I understand which part of the frame he pur casters in....thanks!

I have one of those frames and there is a large learning curve on this frame. John Flynn makes it look so easy! I have worked with it some and there is a lot of information on this board too,even some great modifications for the frame/machine. Good luck!

I have the Flynn Quilt frame and don't care for it. I use it on my picnic table on a cover porch. I feel I can do a better job pinning my quilt and rolling it under the sewing machine.

Blog Entries
    I bought one of his first ones, and never could master it and sold it. Good luck

Blog Entries
    use two boxes taped together in the middle

Blog Entries
    just tape dowels or even pencils to the edges of the table then the pieces will not roll off

I have one of the older models. I would use it more, but it does take up alot of space which I don't have.

Once you get the hang of it, it really does work good.

.I just bought a JF frame this summer,for 3 reasons. 1) I do not have the space for a standing frame. 2) I cannot bend over to pin the sandwich together. 3) Spray basting takes space also, or a least a wall.
    I had DH buy metal rollers 6' long for my 55x66 QoV size quilts. Then you need an 8' table top. DH also fitted an 8'x2' sheet of insulating foam with wooden trim screwed to ends to prevent roll-off. This sits atop a 5' table.
    You do need at least 10' of space total to manuever the frame , using the 6'poles.
    I just completed my 3rd quilt. It does take practise, just like anyother form of quilting. I use a Juki machine, which has a 9" harp area, which is a little larger than a domestic sew machine.
    I definetly would like a long arm, but price and space considerations ruled that out. The JF is a compromise that is working for me. :D

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast