Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Joining rows of stars together >

Joining rows of stars together

Joining rows of stars together

Old 06-04-2017, 05:31 PM

Thank you all! Ynglady, I followed your suggestion, including marks, and it works wonderfully. Initially, I followed the directions in the pattern, which calls for sewing the large squares in first before the smaller ones; it did not work. Sewing the smaller squares first as you suggested works. I think it's an error in the pattern. Thank you again.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:35 PM

Thank you all! Ynglady, I followed your suggestion, including marks, and it works wonderfully. Initially, I followed the directions in the pattern, which calls for sewing the large squares in first before the smaller ones; it did not work. Sewing the smaller squares first as you suggested works. I think it's an error in the pattern. Thank you again.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:19 PM

Just want to thank everybody for your responses. I followed ynglady's directions and my problem is solved. I am a solitary quilter; I work full time (with a long commute) and quilt in the middle of the night. Thus, finding this group has been a blessing because our two quilt shops close at 3 pm and I can never get to them on time for help.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:23 PM

I missed reading the other replies because I didn't realize the responses are on several pages. I have read all your suggestions and I really wished I had consulted this board sooner before sewing the blocks and having to rip out. Thank you again everybody for you helpful suggestions and drawings. The markings really helped.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Gay View Post
Welcome to the board. I don't have the pattern for this but there are 2 ways to put it together, either as a square joining octagons, or making the large star into a square. Personally I would use B style, though you would still have to 'set-in' the squares on the corners - although they could be created using triangles and included while making the larger star.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]574139[/ATTACH]
I really wished I had known about option B, which looks more sensible than the pattern. Thank you for your wonderful suggestion.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by YukonViv View Post
Again if I am way off what you were asking please disregard. I grabbed one of my lone star sample blocks that I used as a teaching sample. This one because I knew I wasn't making an store quilt I just made my set in triangles and squares larger to give it a border. But I think you can see where I was going with my previous post.

I laid some fabric scraps down in what would be a half square triangle in the corner and then the two rectangles would have a half square sewn on the end to complete the unit. These would attach to the smaller squares. Then when the other blocks are sewn together those corner units create a secondary star.

I hope this helps in some way.
Thank you so much! This is extremely helpful.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by YukonViv View Post
Again if I am way off what you were asking please disregard. I grabbed one of my lone star sample blocks that I used as a teaching sample. This one because I knew I wasn't making an store quilt I just made my set in triangles and squares larger to give it a border. But I think you can see where I was going with my previous post.

I laid some fabric scraps down in what would be a half square triangle in the corner and then the two rectangles would have a half square sewn on the end to complete the unit. These would attach to the smaller squares. Then when the other blocks are sewn together those corner units create a secondary star.

I hope this helps in some way.
Thank you so much! This is extremely helpful.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:23 AM

When we made a "Stack "n" Whack", we put in the background fabric as we sewed each segment of star. Then there were just four square pieces to sew together. Those background pieces had seams, but they disappear in the quilting.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

I think the "trick" is if the original poster wants seams in those "joining" blocks or not.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:04 PM

It looks like it is featured in the March/April 2016 Love of Quilting magazine. You might see if you can get a copy somewhere. It should have the instructions in there.