Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Judging Arts and Crafts >

Judging Arts and Crafts

Judging Arts and Crafts

Old 09-24-2011, 06:13 PM

I have been asked to judge in the arts and crafts area for the State Fair. It is tomorrow, now I'm feeling I should have said no thanks! Any suggestions from an experienced judge out there?
Old 09-24-2011, 06:22 PM
Power Poster

If it isn't clean, it automatically gets a third place or entry ribbon. No sloppy work. If it looks homemade instead of handmade it's not good enough for a blue ribbon. I help with the fair each year and see way too many blue ribbons get put on items and that really takes away from the ones that deserve their win.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
If it isn't clean, it automatically gets a third place or entry ribbon. No sloppy work. If it looks homemade instead of handmade it's not good enough for a blue ribbon. I help with the fair each year and see way too many blue ribbons get put on items and that really takes away from the ones that deserve their win.
Thank you very good advice! I hate to see quilt kits win big!
Old 09-24-2011, 06:43 PM
Power Poster

Good luck and good judging.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:48 PM

I watched the judging at my county fair years ago, and saw a lot of unfair judging, so I stopped entering anything. There were several years in a row that some things were stolen, so the entries tapered off. However in the last 10 or 15 years, there are more quilts entered than ever before, but not so many needlework items or things considered crafts. A lot of improvements have been made and I would not hesitate to enter and fear it be stolen. The year I watched, the crafts judge didn't show up, so a county agent from a neighboring county judged. I heard her say she had no interest in the crafts and it looked like she gave ribbons to what she liked--not the quality. I'm not saying that all fairs are that way and maybe it was only the one year at my county's fair.
Just do your best. With the kind of conscience you are displaying in this post, I believe you'll do okay.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by nlgh
I watched the judging at my county fair years ago, and saw a lot of unfair judging, so I stopped entering anything. There were several years in a row that some things were stolen, so the entries tapered off. However in the last 10 or 15 years, there are more quilts entered than ever before, but not so many needlework items or things considered crafts. A lot of improvements have been made and I would not hesitate to enter and fear it be stolen. The year I watched, the crafts judge didn't show up, so a county agent from a neighboring county judged. I heard her say she had no interest in the crafts and it looked like she gave ribbons to what she liked--not the quality. I'm not saying that all fairs are that way and maybe it was only the one year at my county's fair.
My friend entered a beautiful quilt at a small fair and did not get a ribbon - yet shoddy work got ribbons. I think sometimes at the smaller fairs people know who makes the crafts and quilts. That will not be a problem for me since it could be from anywhere in the state.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:59 PM

You should have been or will be supplied with the criteria for judging. If not, is there a fair booklet describing the entry qualifications? You can then judge initially, at least, on how well an entry meets qualification.

I have NOT judged but have acted as assistant. The judges had a rating list and determined how well the entry did with each item in the rating list. Individual entries were scored and places awarded or in case of ties, advanced standards were applied.

I would do a quick web search, were I in your position to see what forms may be available.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:04 PM

OOOH Tough! But I am sure you will do your best and will be fine.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:14 PM

I have read all the rules etc, Been studying everything on the net etc. I am just nervous about it. I know how much work goes into making crafts and not everyone can win even if they are both excellent workmanship.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:17 PM

You do have some judging experience, right? Surely you must have experience in order to have been asked to judge at the State Fair level. :shock: I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if there are even a few members here who have entered quilts that you'll be judging.

Judges usually get written criteria and procedures for judging at a particular show or event. And some shows (fairs especially) allow kits to be entered with no points taken off at all, so be careful to keep your opinions out of your evaluations.

Will there be more than one judge and composite scores, or are you flying solo? If there were more time, I'd suggest you talk to Holice, but if the judging is tomorrow, there's not much chance of that. Good luck to you.