Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Judging a quilt...... >

Judging a quilt......

Judging a quilt......

Old 06-30-2010, 09:54 AM

Some Q shows have a score sheet for each Q. The judges give points for even stitches, square corners, difficulty of pattern etc. Points get added and the highest number wins.
My Qs are machine pieced by me and longarm quilted by a friend. It doesn't matter to the judges here. Different shows have different rules.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by MistyMarie
I went to a quilt show this last weekend and they gave each of the attendees a ballot so we could pick our favorites. Last year, they gave us categories, which I liked much better than just telling us to pick out our favorites. However, the members of the guild that sponsored the show were allowed to vote on the categories.

I have to admit that I was a bit of a "snob" when it came to voting because I wouldn't vote for any that were quilted by another person. I figure that if one is going to get credit for someone else's professional quilting job, those who are still learning how to do the quilting part don't stand a chance. So, I voted for those that were done by the same person.

My question is: In a juried show, do they expect that all the quilting and piecing is done by the SAME person?
this is a really hot button topic at our show meeting last night! One LAQer was quite vociferous in stating that if she hires and pays a LAQ to do a quilt, that doesn't count as a "group quilt" (something about "sharing the ribbon" with the other person). I can sort of understand the "work for hire" mentality where you give up ownership of the work and the "copyright" goes to the person paying you - but IMO that does NOT mean that you can claim the work as your own! A lot of shows explicitly state that if you have had another person work on your quilt, whether for hire or not, it's considered a group quilt.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by MistyMarie
My question is: In a juried show, do they expect that all the quilting and piecing is done by the SAME person?
No, but how it's handled depends on the show. Most ask that you credit everyone who worked on the quilt. The show should spell out what happens if the quilt wins anything.