Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Judy Martin Quilt pattern >

Judy Martin Quilt pattern

Judy Martin Quilt pattern

Old 02-21-2010, 11:30 AM
Power Poster

Making a quilt from a pattern that you own is not a violation. Making a bunch of quilts from the pattern is not a violation. Copying the pattern is a violation. The instructions themselves are under copyright protection.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:30 PM

I haven't seen that one before.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
Making a quilt from a pattern that you own is not a violation. Making a bunch of quilts from the pattern is not a violation. Copying the pattern is a violation. The instructions themselves are under copyright protection.
I'd like to understand this...does "Copying" mean photocopying as in xerox?
Old 02-21-2010, 10:31 PM

Any kind of copying...be it tracing and writing out the instructions or using a copy machine. It's all the same... :)
Old 02-21-2010, 10:35 PM

So, was my earlier post a no-no?
Old 02-22-2010, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Any kind of copying...be it tracing and writing out the instructions or using a copy machine. It's all the same... :)
When I went to quilting class we received copies of instructions and diagrams every time and I don't know where those came from. I still don't see how it is more ethical to borrow a book and make a quilt than to copy the instructions if you can't get it done in three weeks when you have to return the book and to then destroy them after. I doubt that most quilters would sell the patten on or distribute it. Maybe we need someone who writes quilting books to clarify. :)
Old 02-22-2010, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Bobbinwinder
So, was my earlier post a no-no?
I looked back to your earlier posts. I think you were suggesting that you use Judy's quilt for inspiration, but draft your own that looks similar. That's probably okay. Copying the quilt, inch for inch, without paying for the author's design, is not okay, if it's an original design.

Again, that's my understanding of the copyright law, but also it's what makes sense to me.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Stummel
Originally Posted by Charlee
When I went to quilting class we received copies of instructions and diagrams every time and I don't know where those came from. I still don't see how it is more ethical to borrow a book and make a quilt than to copy the instructions if you can't get it done in three weeks when you have to return the book and to then destroy them after. I doubt that most quilters would sell the patten on or distribute it. Maybe we need someone who writes quilting books to clarify. :)
If the copies of instructions and diagrams you received were from another source, then the teacher was violating copyright law (unless she had permission to make the copies). If she wrote the instructions, she can distribute them as she sees fit, but you are not allowed to further copy and distribute them unless she gives you permission.

I do not think that it is okay to make copies of patterns from a book, whether you own the book, or have borrowed it from a library or a friend. Even if you own the book, there are only a few times when it's okay to copy from it. I picked up a book entirely at random from my shelf (More Simple Quilts with Splash, Dash and Panache by Nicole C. Chambers) and read this:

"All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical including information storage and retrieval systems without written permission of the publisher. Exceptions: Permission is granted to reviewers, who may quote brief passages in a review."

I have also read about that "10%" rule that libraries supposedly have. I think it's more for researchers than for quilters. It's hard to find information about this subject on the internet as it pertains to quilters. A lot of what I've read is conflicting. I guess that's why we have these discussions.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:16 PM
Power Poster

A lawyer once said do not try to put logic in the law because the law has no logic. Get involved with the law and you will see what he meant.

If I were to do any of the above I would not tell anyone. I don't even play a lawyer on this board.

I understood what Stummel was asking, I don't understand what brought up the coyright discussion, obliviously nothing she said.