Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jumping Sewing Machine. >

Jumping Sewing Machine.

Jumping Sewing Machine.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:48 AM

try old mouse pads---I buy them at garage sales and put them under both the sewing machine and my serger---stops the walking too and makes them quieter
Old 06-29-2011, 06:38 AM

Mine does that sometimes, and has started again the past few days. It usually goes away with a bit of cleaning and some oil. Maybe it is just protesting!

My table is the same all of the time, and the machine is bolted into it.... so it must be some other factor.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:38 AM

I use non-skid shelf liner, the bumpy kind. It cushions the machine and keeps it from "walking".
Old 06-29-2011, 06:43 AM

We use the "mesh" rubber shelf line or any plastic shelf liner.... someone made me a mat the size of a table mat... fabric on top and "shelf rubber" on the bottome it sits under the machine... and drops in the front over the table.. it has pockets for keeping things... ie.. presser feet and stitch ripper, asssorted things...

http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutori...on/2010/10/01/
This is somethng like it.. didn't read the tut, but just layer it with the shelf liner, and bind... hope this helps
I'm a "speed sewer" so i know what you mean by the jumping!!!!! ;)
Old 06-29-2011, 07:10 AM

I have a sturdy table but it still will do the jumping on fast speeds. (not too bad tho) At the LQS a few yrs back, they were selling mats to go under the machine that had pockets in the front to hold scissors, etc. for conveinence.I remember there being heavy plastic in this item. The mat was supposed to keep the machine from shaking.
I would use those rubber shelf liners you can get at the dollor store.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:17 AM

I think it's a table that's too flexible, not your machine. Set you machine on the floor and sew on some scrap fabric to see if it still jumps. If not, you know it's your table. Sometimes, just moving the machine closer to the leg of the table will help.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:43 AM

i was solving this problem by just sewing slower (BORING!!)...glad i am reading this thread...good ideas...will try some....thanks...
Old 06-29-2011, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by grumpy90650
i was solving this problem by just sewing slower (BORING!!)...glad i am reading this thread...good ideas...will try some....thanks...
Yes, I am going to trying the bumpy shelf lining....maybe even two layers....
Old 06-29-2011, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
You know those cushioned anti-fatigue mats that they sell to stand on in front of your kitchen sink? How about cutting one of those to set your sewing machine on? Just a thought.
I have been doing this for a few years. I buy one of the mats and cut it up to fit the bottom of my sewing machines. Have one under my serger also. What was left of the mat is under my computer tower.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Deborahlees
I would guess that my machine has been doing this for some time, but has just started to really annoy me. When I use any 'speed' on my machine it is really viberating and jumping on my table..... What kind of padding are you using under your machine to stop this problem...batting????? foan ???? headliner ???? none of above.....
go to the local flooring store and one of their sample pieces that is bound all around the edges...they usually run about $2...place your machine on that...it really does work...great for those sewing classes where they use plastic tables....