Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
JuneTailor -- Sew-in Colorfast Fabric Sheets for Ink Jet Printers -- Durability?? >

JuneTailor -- Sew-in Colorfast Fabric Sheets for Ink Jet Printers -- Durability??

JuneTailor -- Sew-in Colorfast Fabric Sheets for Ink Jet Printers -- Durability??

Old 02-02-2019, 01:46 PM
MCH

Smile JuneTailor -- Sew-in Colorfast Fabric Sheets for Ink Jet Printers -- Durability??

I have this product and want to use it for a label on a child's quilt.

The package info says the "printed sheets can be washed by hand or machine in cold water if colorfast treatment was done. Do not use detergent. If machine washing, use gentle cycle." I plan to do the colorfast treatment.

Here's my conundrum...do I really want to use this product for a label on a child's quilt that will surely be washed multiple times? I do not want to put the added burden on the child's mother of having to give the quilt added consideration when she washes it.

Right now, I'm skeptical about using these sheets for anything that will be washed. I can resort to making a label by other means (handwriting, embroidery, etc.).

What is your sage advice? Any thoughts / opinions much appreciated. Thanks much!!
Old 02-02-2019, 03:16 PM

I would use embroidery or handwritten label.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:05 PM
MCH

Charley26, I'm leaning toward your thought, as well. "Great minds along the same path," I say. Thanks!!
Old 02-03-2019, 04:09 AM
Power Poster

You can use the fabric sheets and use Permenant ink fabric marker or permanent inks in your printer ( most printer ink is water soluble- you have to find the permanent inks- they are more expensive.
Old 02-03-2019, 04:57 AM

I have used these sheets on a t-shirt quilt. They didn’t turn out badly at all, some fading, which I expected, but they’re still perfectly clear and recognizable. It will, over time, start to “crackle”, as you can see in this picture. This quilt has probably been washed 30 or 40 times, as I use it all the time.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]607830[/ATTACH]

However, I suggest making sure every single part of the picture is well adhered. I didn’t get the bottom edge of this picture completely ironed down, and lost part of the picture.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]607832[/ATTACH]
You can see on our legs where it came away from the quilt.
Nothing is going to be perfect unless you have the pics professionally done on fabric, but this worked for what I needed. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails 59e4aeca-c283-408d-85f6-a24467b0c6ee.jpeg   e25fbe90-42e1-40f2-bfb9-65ce8177794e.jpeg  
Old 02-03-2019, 04:26 PM

I had really good luck using Rit Dye Fixative after printing pics with the Canon inks that came with the printer. I ran out of those inks and the off brand ones I replaced them with were much more difficult to get them colorfast. I washed those with the Canon inks with detergent a couple times and no bleeding or fading, the off brand inks, less successful. I think I'd go with Charley's suggestion and use embroidery or hand written and not have to worry about the label fading away.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:01 AM

I have used fabric pens for labels
Old 02-05-2019, 01:57 PM
MCH

Well, Folks, I went with the hand-written label on muslin. Used a Pigma Micron pen, fused the muslin to the waxed side of a piece of freezer paper, drew guidelines on the dull side of the freezer paper, and wrote the text. The muslin was so well attached to the freezer paper that I was able to write the entire text in script (now, my grandson has not only my name, but my actual signature) just as if I were writing on a piece of paper. I will post pix once I get the binding sewn on.

One hint I picked up from a Fons and Porter video (featured Mary Fons)...after I fused the freezer paper and muslin, I used a ruler and a fine point Sharpee to make lines dark enough on the dull side of the freezer paper so that I could see them through the muslin and paper to create the label...lines of text would be spaced evenly and in a straight line. (I was doing the label writing in bright sunlight -- a light box would work best). Caveat: if you use a Sharpee, you will most likely get some of the ink on the ruler...not to worry...I used a cotton ball with some isopropyl alcohol to wipe the edge of the ruler. Worked fine.

I'm glad this hurdle has been jumped...I plan to give the quilt to my grandson at his birthday party on Sunday. I think he'll like it!