Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Just curious about Shipshewana Indiana Quilt show...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    207

    Just curious about Shipshewana Indiana Quilt show...

    Good morning,
    I have the opportunity to attend the Shipshewana Quilt show this year in June, and was just wondering if any of you have attended this show in the past. I am always anxious to attend any quilt show - this is a new one for me. I have been reading about the beautiful area - it does sound wonderful.

    Thanks for your input,
    Sue

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    869
    I haven't been but a lot of my friends go every year. The quilts are great and there are lots of fabric shops to visit with classes available. The entire town is a shopping area for everything and then there is the flea market on Mon and Tues. I think it is. We live a couple of hours away but don't go as we don't like crowds and they are really there.

  3. #3
    Super Member auntpiggylpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Michigan. . .FINALLY!!!!
    Posts
    6,913
    Blog Entries
    1
    I went for the first time last year. I only live a couple of hours away so I didn't have to find lodging. The quilt show was great, lots of vendors! There are several fabric stores in town and I think I hit everyone of them. Great bargains! You have to go to Lolly's and Lolly's Basement! I don't remember which day I went but I didn't feel the crowds were too bad. Will probably go again this year!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

    http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

  4. #4
    dd
    dd is offline
    Super Member dd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,744
    I didn't get to go to the quilt show but I was at the town a few years ago. I spent all day walking around until I had to pick up my husband. The town itself is simply amazing. Just watch out for those horse and buggys.lol
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

  5. #5
    Senior Member mzzzquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Hudson, MI
    Posts
    666
    Blog Entries
    3
    I went a few years ago and LOVED it. Beautiful quilts on display, and lots of bargains in the stores, and yes, Lolly's and Lolly's Basement are a must. Yoder's Department Store is also a MUST!
    Last edited by mzzzquilts; 01-30-2012 at 07:42 AM.
    MzzzQuilts aka Ellen

  6. #6
    Super Member auntpiggylpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Michigan. . .FINALLY!!!!
    Posts
    6,913
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by mzzzquilts View Post
    I went a few years ago and LOVED it. Beautiful quilts on display, and lots of bargains in the stores, and yes, Lolly's and Lolly's Basement are a must. Yoder's Department store is also a MUST!
    Ohh, I forgot about Yoder's!!!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

    http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    southern Michigan
    Posts
    227
    Blog Entries
    1
    I loved it last year and felt it was one of the better shows I have seen. Some truly awsome quilts and still casual and friendly staff. I live an hour away and plan to go this year too. I would recommend it to anyone who is able to make it.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    664
    Blog Entries
    9
    I was thinking about going this year, but now I know I will for sure. Thanks!

  9. #9
    Senior Member happyquiltmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    564

    It's a great show!

    I live 20 minutes from Shipshewana. The show itself is top-notch...wonderful workmanship in the entries. I actually entered a wall hanging the first year, but didn't win a prize...and I understand why!

    Shipshe (as the locals call it) is in the heart of Amish country and has tons of shopping opportunities, specialty shops and you can even take a ride in an Amish buggy if you wish.

    The featured speaker session always sells out, so be sure to sign up ASAP!

    The shop where I work has been on the related shop hop in the past, but won't be this year. If you attend the show, please come down and visit anyway! It's Caroline's Cottage Cottons in Rome City. We love meeting new people and LOVE helping customers choose fabric.

    If you do decide to come to NE Indiana and stop in the shop, be sure to say hi to me (Cindy)!

  10. #10
    Super Member auntpiggylpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Michigan. . .FINALLY!!!!
    Posts
    6,913
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by happyquiltmom View Post
    I live 20 minutes from Shipshewana. The show itself is top-notch...wonderful workmanship in the entries. I actually entered a wall hanging the first year, but didn't win a prize...and I understand why!

    Shipshe (as the locals call it) is in the heart of Amish country and has tons of shopping opportunities, specialty shops and you can even take a ride in an Amish buggy if you wish.

    The featured speaker session always sells out, so be sure to sign up ASAP!

    The shop where I work has been on the related shop hop in the past, but won't be this year. If you attend the show, please come down and visit anyway! It's Caroline's Cottage Cottons in Rome City. We love meeting new people and LOVE helping customers choose fabric.

    If you do decide to come to NE Indiana and stop in the shop, be sure to say hi to me (Cindy)!
    I've been to your shop, it is lovely!!!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

    http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

  11. #11
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    S. Texas
    Posts
    2,066
    If you come I'd suggest staying at the Bright Morning Star bed and breakfast. Owner is also a quilter and new house and wonderful breakfasts. Make your reservation soon. The address is Middlebury but is closer to Shipse. You are in rural Amish country and you can sit in the front porch and watch the buggies go by or the farmers working in the fields with their horses.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Mickey1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    594
    And the food is wonderful there!

  13. #13
    Junior Member JMCDA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Perth County, Ontario Canada
    Posts
    285
    oooohhh! Hubby and I were talking about taking a return trip to Shipshewana this year, I didn't know there was a quilt show there, what a wonderful reason to start planning our trip!

    Joann

  14. #14
    Senior Member mzzzquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Hudson, MI
    Posts
    666
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by JMCDA View Post
    oooohhh! Hubby and I were talking about taking a return trip to Shipshewana this year, I didn't know there was a quilt show there, what a wonderful reason to start planning our trip!

    Joann
    Yup, perfect!
    MzzzQuilts aka Ellen

  15. #15
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,821
    Definitely go! I have been to Shipshe twice and the area is a huge quilting area. Definitely go to both Yoder's and Lolly's, but be sure to stop in Lollys basement shop first, as they have great fabric deals down there. The whole area is wonderful and there are many little fabric shops out on backrounds. I stumbled on some while driving other places. I so wish I could go to the quilt show there, I know it will have gorgeous quilts.
    Go and let us know what you saw and did.

    Kat

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    207
    Thank you all for the comments.... I was happily anticipating the trip to Shipshewana... now I am down right EXCITED!!!! I will be traveling with a bus group - and I will pass on the information about the shops you folks mentioned...

    See you is Shipshewana....
    Sue

  17. #17
    Super Member mcdaniel023's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,602
    Blog Entries
    3
    Sue, you will have a wonderful time. I love going to Shipshewana. I went to the quilt show last year and really enjoyed it.
    Happy Quilting.

  18. #18
    Super Member Peggy Jeanne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    2,365
    It is great, you will have to go to Yoders general store!!!!!!!!!!

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7

    Shipshewana

    Shipshewana is my favorite quilting destination - even tho it's four hours away and my DH has to drive me right thru the middle of Chicago to get there! (We live NW of Chicago, not far from the Wisconsin border.). I haven't been to the quilt show, but if you go, you absolutely must check out the fabric in Lolly's (in the Davis Mercantile building), and Yoder's. Our favorite place to stay overnite is at the Essenhaus Inn in Middlebury. It's just beautiful there. There's another small quilt shop right there at Essenhaus, The Corn Crib. If you go, I'm sure you'll have a great time. Don't forget to have meals at both the Essenhaus in Middlebury and at the Blue Gate Restaurant in Shipshewana. Lots of touring to do in this wonderful Amish area!
    Lucy

    Quote Originally Posted by ohstr View Post
    Good morning,
    I have the opportunity to attend the Shipshewana Quilt show this year in June, and was just wondering if any of you have attended this show in the past. I am always anxious to attend any quilt show - this is a new one for me. I have been reading about the beautiful area - it does sound wonderful.

    Thanks for your input,
    Sue

  20. #20
    Senior Member redvette54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    741
    I've never been to the quilt show, but try to make it down there once or twice a year. The fabric, baked goods, the comfort foods, the shopping. It's my go to place, when I'm stressed. You'll have a great time.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.