Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just curious-First thing your eye is drawn to... >

Just curious-First thing your eye is drawn to...

Just curious-First thing your eye is drawn to...

Old 12-19-2010, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
Originally Posted by cizzors
...when looking at a sewing machine?

First thing I look at is the throat size. Why can't any one make them larger like on the vintage machines? That would be worth an extra $100.00 to me!!!
One that would take a spool or a cone of thread for the bobbin would be heaven.
Me too!
Old 12-19-2010, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by retired2pa
Now that I have more quilting experience (15 years) the first thing I look for in a machine, old or new, is the throat size, too. Like so many machines, a 5" or 6" isn't nearly big enough for quilting. Who designs these machines, anyway?? Although I don't quilt my own large quilts I still like lots of room to maneuver a piece through without having to shove or tug. Last year I bought a Brother 1500 and love it. It has a 9 1/2" throat and a perfect 1/4" stitch.
I think throat size is important, too, but how do you measure? Thanks! You are all so great!
Old 12-19-2010, 06:16 PM

Marketing, if could have light weight, large throat size, can do heavy duty, auto cut, easy bobbin, holds a large spool, embroidery, all the plus items, we wouldn't have any reason to have more than one. :) If bits and pieced offered, we then have more than one, 1 home quilting, 1 class, 1 embroidery, etc. from what I've noticed reading old posts, many have many :) Oh, and if ask I plead the 5th. LOL
Old 12-19-2010, 07:39 PM

Gads, so many choices.

I agree with size of the sewing area is first. Price is ALWAYS a consideration. Then the next most is if I can 'bond' with it.

My mother has an old Bernina but i couldn't bond with it and knew I would dial the wrong stitches when one of my kids would interrupt me. As the kids are older I am surprised by how often I am now interrupted by other things/people.

If price were the main consideration then I would also know which stitches I for sure wanted: triple stitch, blanket stitch, and the old standby zigzag stitch.

ali
Old 12-19-2010, 07:48 PM

Ease of use, reliability, good stitches, flexibility with regard to different fabric choices (will it handle light weight, heavy weight)...and all the others listed above. Often times I hear folks say they can't sew a straight seam. I think that anyone can on a good machine. Some machines I've tried to use in the past, were horrible when trying to sew straight seams. So it must be a machine that makes sewing fun.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:26 PM
Power Poster

Yea the throat size too but I can tell you that mine is too small.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:42 PM

Throat size....my new Viking has the 10" and I love it.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:38 PM

I'm hoping someone, someday will make a bobbin that feeds off a spool the same as the top stitch does so when I'm looking at machines that's my first question.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by sandilee
I borrowed my sisters machine last summer and her bobbin case was "front" loading. I didn't care for it. So, I made sure my new one has a "top" loading one. This way I can drop it in and see thru the plastic cover and see how much thread is left on bobbin.
I SO agree with this! That is a "must have" for any machine I seriously consider.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by sandilee
I borrowed my sisters machine last summer and her bobbin case was "front" loading. I didn't care for it. So, I made sure my new one has a "top" loading one. This way I can drop it in and see thru the plastic cover and see how much thread is left on bobbin.
I SO agree with this! That is a "must have" for any machine I seriously consider.