Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Just curious...

I don't buy that many FQs. I like yardage better. I will buy them if the price is right or if I need an accent color for a small project. They just don't seem like a good value for the money.

Blog Entries
    When I buy fat quarters, I buy them individually. I don't like other people picking out my material for me. I'm making a quilt with different colored stars in it for my daughter. I had a lot of fun picking out the fat quarters for the individual stars.

After saying that, I have to admit that most of the time I buy my material by the yard. I always buy 1/4 or 1/2 yard more than I need so I've built up quite a bit of stash of my own brand of fat quarters. What I've bought at different times in the past, coordinate very well together when I mix them together for my present or future projects.

I know for me, whenever they go on sale I buy 'em up know matter what they look like. Sometimes I get home and think, "why did I buy these?" Then I remember, 'cause it was on sale! I have far too many fat quarters, but it's better than not having enough I guess.

There are five shelves of the freebies, always pretty full. They use the second half of the bundle FQ or second FQ from a half yard cut when a customer has one cut, so the choice is the same fabrics that are in the store on bolts. I have never had trouble finding a FQ I like. If you see a bundle you like but don't like one of the colors, they will take it out and cut you another of your choice at no extra costs. The bundles are priced the same as the FQ.
    I don't specifically go for just half yard to get a FQ, but no one seems to mind if the purchase is small. They also overcut all their fabrics, so no shorts on the folded FQ. I was once purchasing about a dozen 6 inch strips for a project, and my sales person even said, well lets make sure to get you more than the six inches so you can be sure to get your two strips out of each. They also have a generous coupon program, at least monthly, and daily in december, give you big discount week of your birthday, but when I missed that week, they were nice enough to give me the discount on my next purchase which was pretty large.
    FYI, my shop is in Columbus, OH and it is called Quilt Beginnings. They also have excellent teachers and staff.

I have to many fqtr's to count.... But the only time I've bought them as a bundle was this year when I was buying Civil War Repro's and then I went totally overboard..... anyway I ended up with about 120 different ones before it was done, I'll never use them all up. Can we say scrappy quilts for life...lol
    Muriel

I always buy FQ on sale and always buy 2 of the same fabric, that way you have enough for a project. One is never enough.

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    I've bought packs before and when I get them home, I can never find the perfect pattern for them. I think of them as garnishments for my stash - something pretty to look at but not "eat."
    I think of them as garnishments too, and only buy on sale.
    I love when I find them for .99, and then buy a gob, for sampler or applique quilts.

It depends. I usually buy them because I like them, but I have purchased bundles too!

I like to buy the FQ packs, for those like me who are color challenged it is such a help. I love all the FQ quilt patterns. I also like to look at the random FQ's as scrappy quilts are my very favorite and that is a good way to get lots of fabrics to mix. Vicky

i don't know if the sale is over, but joann's is having a sale on fq's. 99 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    i don't know if the sale is over, but joann's is having a sale on fq's. 99 cents.
    right now, it's a good thing my joann's is not too close :wink:

Blog Entries
    I've only bought 1 FQ bundle...that was just because I love Moda and I love this particular Christmas line...otherwise I buy FQ's individually when I see something that I like. I like to applique, so I use lots of smaller bits. Also...I just love to look at them and pet them. I also like to have some on hand to share with other folks...they are great for that!

Quote Originally Posted by NY Nancy
    For those of you who buy fat quarters to add to your stash, do you ever buy bundles of related FQs or do you prefer to pick-and-choose? Is your answer different, if you're shopping online rather than in person?
    I rarely buy fats. The only time I really bought a lot of them was when I made the t-shirt quilt with all the blues.

community benefactor
    I never buy just onw fat quarter any more. If it's a fabric I really like I buy two or a half yard. I really hate running out.

Depends on my mood when I'm shopping! FQ's are great for scrappy quilts and I like to buy them on sale. I've been collecting batiks and Black and Whites. I just bought my first coordinated fat bundle (Aunt Grace) just because I couldn't resist! It's still tied up with the little bow ribbon and I just love looking at it, LOL. It may wind up as a decor item in my sewing room for while until the perfect pattern and opportunity presents itself. Ultimately, I think it will grace my four poster in the master bedroom. Other times, I am drawn to the yardage, thinking of backs and borders or when I have a planned quilt in mind.

I've never bought a FQ bundle, but I buy individual FQs all the time. I like scrappy quilts (though I was just thinking the other day that I really ought to do a normal coordinated quilt one of these days!). I usually buy a couple of each when I find FQs I like, though. One's usually not enough for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2