Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Just found out about French Braid quilts

Here's a picture of one that I made.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Love French Braids. Love the purple one. Have a book on them, haven't made one yet, but it doesn't include the tree skirt. What a great idea! Now I have to add another to my todo list. At this rate, I'll be as old as dirt before I get everything done. Oh, yeah, according to my kids, I am as old as dirt. Oh, well.

I made some tablerunners but didn't realize you could make a full quilt out of them until I saw picture in the gallery. Duh! They are just gorgeous.

I'm a scrappy quiltmaker, so the french braid is a good pattern to use them up!! I've got several rows made, and hanging, but haven't put them together yet.

I always figure out a way to sew a strip to one side and then sew a strip to the other side. It needs to be laid out and pinned or numbered to be sure you put the right strip on next in the right place. Having a picture handy would help. I think with a little practice, it could be done.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sylviak View Post
    I've made two french braids. Both turned out pretty. Here's the last one I did for my DDIL. They can be addictive! Have fun! This was before quilting and binding.
    I love that, I also love purple, lol. I am wanting to make one but think I need to start on something a little more simple. I have a few more things to do and then I am going to start my quilt. That is one pretty Quilt.
    Life is SEW great!!!!!!

French Braid Quilts

Quote Originally Posted by sylviak View Post
    I've made two french braids. Both turned out pretty. Here's the last one I did for my DDIL. They can be addictive! Have fun! This was before quilting and binding.
    Have not tried a French Braid Quilt yet. This one is beautiful with the purples. I love the set in triangles and the smaller french braids with this pattern. Have been looking for a pattern similar to this one. Beautiful job!

This was my first French Braid

This is my first up load from my phone camera. The picture is a little dark. Sorry, you'll have to turn your head sideways.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Raine; 06-16-2012 at 12:25 PM. Reason: to explain picture
    Believe, it can be done!

Absolutely beautiful.

I too am a French Braid lover. I also really like the Friendship Braid as well. Every braid I have ever seen was wonderful and I will be trying a small one for my next project. It will be a practice piece and if it turns out decent I will give it to a friend of mine who is very special. Then I'll have to make my other friends one when they see his. LOL Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    I was in a little town and picked up a book about French Braids. Well, I'm making one now. I have never heard of them before. They are gorgeous. Are they new? Have they been around a long time? I just love them. I want to make more than one. I bought fabric to make two so far and am working on the first one. Anyone make one yet? Anyone have pictures they'd like to share?
    I love French braids. I made one for my granddaughter, and it's beautiful. But after a while, it can become quite rote. It's easy, but very repetitive.
    cindyg19

I bought my book about 5 years ago, still want to make one, one of these days. Use to live in Northern Michigan for 32 years moved to Florida last Oct. from Grayling.

Does anyone have a scrappy one made up that they could post. I would like to see it . I have a lot of scraps I would like to use up Thanks

Juanita

Hi JuanitaBean, the above in red with houses is actually a scrapy French Braid. I had a friend that gave me several fat quarters that were really lively colors and I just took scraps, even silk fabric and included in my french braids with houses. It was a lot of fun.
    Believe, it can be done!

Any tips on how you quilt the French braid quilts--what design to use ? Thanks , Elaine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2