Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Just got my quilt back from the quilter and it's bad.....

Minimum, she should know what you are thinking and feeling now and you have new information you didn't when picking the quilt up. It's never what you say, it's how you say it. You are problem solving. The right reponse from her would be just that. Anything else isn't your fault.

I agree with Deedum, get back 50% of the cost. She should have called you and let you know there is a problem with the backing. A lady I know had a lab robe quilted, got it home didn't like the quilting and she took the whole thing apart and then took it to another quilter to be done over. The second quilter did a great job, I saw both jobs, first and second. She didn't go back to the first quilter but told everybody under the sun how unhappy she was with the first job. Things can get nasty.

So, should I say something like:

"Hi (so and so)

I have really tried to not let the back of my quilt bother me, but it really does. The more I think about it and the more I talk to people, I feel that I should get some sort of refund. I wish you would've called me when you knew there was a problem, I would not have "okayed" it to be quilted this way. "

I would let the resolution be her idea, but you can certainly lead the way by letting her know how you feel and what you are thinking about the process, ie. no phone call, etc. and paint the picture of how things could have been different. If an acceptalbe solution isn't offered up after that, I move to a more frank statement like, I'd really like a refund on this one, followed by a sincere compliment like, I know you meant well, because I'm sure she did, something may have happened in her life that day and she may have felt she didn't even have time to call you. Life happens and so do mistakes, but that's the beauty life, it's never too late to say I'm sorry or correct and learn from an experience. Mistakes don't make the person as much as the corrections do I think. If something comes from your heart, it's hard to go wrong. Give yourself peace by speaking your mind. You and your quilt are worth it.

I would love to have more information on your quilting business: cost, how long do you allow etc...thanks

Alex Anderson is on HGTV's web cite. I watched her on how to pin a quilt to do machine Quilting. The bottom has to be tight and smoth pinning the sandwich has to be pinned every 2" a part. After I watched her I have had no problem with my back. On quilt frames the back has to be tight. If there is some pleating on the top it is from your sewing I have found that out. From doing my own Machine quilting. Check out the web cite. She has a lot of stuff on quilting.

Well, I have heard that if you are not happy with her work, your word will spread and she will end up with no work at all. You should take it back and have HER remove all the stitching and then either have her redo it or just get it back, with your $$. Take it somewhere else. That is not good business at all. Load it right and there really should not be a problem. Wish you good luck in what ever you decide to do. :)

Really, I LOVE you people:-) Amazing support here!

I wish I wasn't so scared about it though! I just don't know how to START the conversation!

pal
    Hi cent - You start the conversation with "Mary, I am SO Unhappy
    with the way you did this quilt." and then if she says something dumb like
    "what's wrong with it" you will have reason to get your dander up and tell her what's wrong with it and what you'd like her to do about it.
    Your quilt is unusable as it is - so you have nothing to lose.

Please don't let someone get away with this behavior. The next person
    certainly won't.

Thanks Pal!

SO, if I start out saying I'm unhappy about, she is going to tell me it's my fault again. She knows I am not a pro. quilter by any means. What do I say to her to let her know that I know it's her fault and not mine?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cent
    Thanks Pal!

SO, if I start out saying I'm unhappy about, she is going to tell me it's my fault again. She knows I am not a pro. quilter by any means. What do I say to her to let her know that I know it's her fault and not mine?
    Tell her that you have discussed this with professionals. Because you have. These ladies know what they are talking about.

I also took a quilt to a "professional" quilter and she messed it up. It had tucks, puckers and pleats on the back. It couldn't have been my backing fabric because I used the wide backing and it wasn't pieced. She charged $60.00. I picked every stitch out of the quilt and took it to another long arm quilter and she did a beautiful job. I didn't say anything to the first quilter about her mess, but I learned my lesson and won't be taking anything else to her. It was an expensive lesson, but I learned from it.

I'm so sorry you had bad results in having your quilt, quilted!
    Is it possible for you to post photos of the pleats, and the entire back? Sometimes if they aren't quilted in, they can be steamed out with an iron....
    If I lived anywhere near you, I'd come and check out the results and hopefully be able to offer a suggestion.
    Did the longarmer give you and definite reason on what you "did wrong" that she says caused the problem?
    Did she give you any guidance on what to do in the future (besides not hiring her) to avoid the problem again?
    Do you live in central Illinois by chance?....I'd come and offer help if I could!
    I think it, if not a voilation of board policy, posting the names of bad longarm quilters could keep a lot of quilters from having the same experience.
    It is such a shame that she didn't respect the time and effort you invested in your work!
    Sue

She said that I stretched the fabric when I sewed it. I don't remember doing that, but as I've said before, I am still in the learning process. I've taken a couple pictures, I'll post some tonight to show you what happened.

See, when I picked it up she said "because you stretched the fabric on the back, the green fabric "puckered"." I thought it was no big deal 'cause I like the puckered look. But when I got home and saw it, it wasn't what I would call puckering, there were areas where it looked like she folded it and then sewed it, ya know! It's not all over the back, but enough to where it stands out.

ps, I live in Utah...wish it was Illinois so you could give me your opinions!

Hope to see pictures of what you are conderned about. I have no personal experience with a LAQ, but I would be very upset if there were folds in the backing of my quilt. Some of that may have been avoided by asking her to show you what she meant by the puckering. I would never take a quilt home without looking at it when I picked it up.
    I work with hand quilters at church,and we always open up the quilt when the person picks it up (so we can all ooh and aaah with the quilter!) We are not always 100% successful, but we know if there is a problem immediately! And we have the option to make any adjustments right then and there. :?

Blog Entries
    I must empathize with your disapppointment. I took a wall hanging to a professional machine quilter and was so disappointed with the results. I later found out that she has just purchased a very expensive quilting machine and she's not very experienced at quilting yet. She charged me what an experienced quilter would charge. I just don't think I'll take anything to her again.

Blog Entries
    I have had many quilts quilted and never had this happen, but a teacher of mine had it happen and she made the quilter unstitch the entire quilt and requilt it. She was a good customer but if your quilter wants a good reputation she will try to work it out with you, you are the customer. janey

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cent
    I wish I wasn't so scared about it though! I just don't know how to START the conversation!
    Print out some of the constructive posts (primarily to hold on to for support) and tell her that you have been discussing the situation with your quilting buddies. Tell her you really want to find out what went wrong in the process, and why she did not notify you BEFORE quilting a wrinkley quilt. Then take it from there.

Here are the pics

K, these are just a couple pics of the quilt.What do you think?
    Name:  Attachment-41412.jpe
Views: 10
Size:  33.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would say it's her fault...I think she didn't have the back on the roller right....she should have made sure it was square before starting to quilt it.

pal
    Gosh, she sure did a beautiful job otherwise. Now that I see what
    happened. I honestly don't know what I would do.

I agree that you should ask for a partial refund. So sorry for your disapointment.

Super Member Sheree from Chicago's Avatar
    I have to agree with everyone. I would be livid if I were you. I would let her know that she should consider her reputation and "word of mouth" in making her decision to correct mistakes at no charge to you!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast