Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just got my quilt back from the quilter and it's bad..... >

Just got my quilt back from the quilter and it's bad.....

Just got my quilt back from the quilter and it's bad.....

Old 09-18-2009, 12:54 PM

I am not a super experienced quilter by any means, but I have an idea. If the quilt is really not able to be redone because you trimmed it, could you run an invisible stitch down the pucker lines so they at least lay flat? I don't know if that makes sense. To me, the folds remind me of sewing binding on to a project. It seems like you could tame them, if there isn't another solution. Sorry this happened to you. I'd be really disappointed.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:38 PM

Her quilting is very pretty, but she had to have not kept track of the back. I've done that on my little sewing machine, but I constantly check the back as I'm quilting and then if any folds, I can rip them out. I'm sorry that this happened to you, but you really need to say something to her. Maggiesquilt, I read your letter and I commend you for ripping out the quilt not once but twice! I'll bet your Mother cherishes your gift!
Old 09-18-2009, 10:54 PM
Power Poster

Mary, could it be quilted by LA if a temporary border was stitched on round the edges, then removed later, or is that unworkable? Maggiesquilt, I too read your letter and I commend your perseverance! I am glad the end result was a fruitful and happy one. Cent, don't give up....you will find a way to make that quilt as perfect as it can be.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:22 AM
Banned

Just my 2 cents worth, but even if a beginner takes a quilt to a professional, that person should be able to say wether it'll work or not. I've never quilted my tops as I tie, but I'm just thinking of what the others said.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by earthwalker
Mary, could it be quilted by LA if a temporary border was stitched on round the edges, then removed later, or is that unworkable?
Possibly. But if the LAer is already blaming cent for the backing, I don't know how well she would handle temp borders.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:01 PM

The title of this post makes me physically ill!! I would JUST DIE if this happened with one of my customers.

Here's how the stretching can happen. Let say you have 1 piece 35" and the other 35.5" long. If the longer piece is on the bottom, your feed dogs can ease in that extra 1/2". This technique is done (on purpose) in the garment industry for things like setting in sleeves. I've had borders come to me several inches too long because of that "feeding" or stretching issue. This also can happen on backs, especially if you are seaming a back and don't have both pieces exactly the same size. You won't be able to see the easing in the seam, but it shows up in unexpected places. I cringe when I see pieced backs (lots of pieces), just because there is so much room for something to go wrong. Add in mystery fabrics, a little bias and you have a wreck looking for a place to happen. A little fullness on the top can be controlled and hidden. A little fullness on the back is not always easy to spot until it's too late.

Now..for your current issue. It looks like from the pictures you might be able to do a slip stitch to tack down those pleats and no one will be the wiser. Your back will be fine. Talk to your quilter, see if she offers a discount or refund. I know that if this were me, I'd want to make you happy.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:07 PM

I agree with Shelly that getting a tuck in a pieced backing is very easy to do.
In some instances almost impossible not to. I know, you sew two fabrics together and they should be flat, but like Shelly said, unless you are using an even feed foot the bottom piece will be sucked in faster than the top piece, resulting in one being very slightly gathered. Spread over a long seam this can result in extra fabric that has to go somewhere. Have you ever cut off a flared skirt or pants leg and when rehemming had that little bloop of fabric on the top side with nowhere to go? The quilting overall is very nice. It would have been nice if as soon as she saw what was happening she called you
to give you a chance to take it home to fix the backing. But maybe she did not notice or maybe she did the best she could under the circumstances. Please don't bad mouth her to other potenial customers until you give her a chance to
do something to help you feel better about this quilt. It is still a lovely quilt and I would like to see a pic of the entire quilt front and back. If sewn down with a snug ladder stitch the pleat will be less noticable.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:15 PM

Thanks for your advice everyone!

What exactly is a pressed ladder stitch?
Old 09-19-2009, 01:25 PM
Banned

I agree, it is beautiful quilting and not to badmouth the quilter. I also think you could stitch this down. This happened on one of my quilts and I hand stitched it down and no one knew it but me. Good Luck. It would be too much work to rip out the quilting. That would take longer than the quilting, then you may also have needle holes you can't get rid of. I would talk to the LA quilter and see if she would give you some refund.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:31 AM

My backing and the quilt were beautifully quilted and I was thrilled until I noticed a small snip just along the border. It must have happened when the quilter was snipping at a thread. I am sure that she never noticed it (I hope).
This quilt was for a 50th anniversary gift and I was heart broken. I found a tiny brass heart button and I sewed it just over the hole and the anniversary couple never knew the reason for the tiny heart on their quilt.

I have, since that time, added a tiny heart button somewhere on all my quilts...
My sign for made with love..........and besides, my birthday is 2/14 so it has become my logo.....

MJ in NJ