Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just hung a quilt >

Just hung a quilt

Just hung a quilt

Old 03-23-2014, 11:24 PM

How long for? Sorry couldn't resist after reading title.

Any chance of a hung picture as it is impossible to see the wonderful detail in a postage stamp .
Old 03-24-2014, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Dotha View Post
My husband just hung a quilt for me using the "Hang it, Dang it". So glad to have my Judy Niemeyer quilt hanging. It is Japanese fans...her title. I don't know what to call mine. It is the quilt in my Avatar. Maybe Neutral Corners. Suggestions?
Only thing I can think is "and I'm still sane?"
Old 03-24-2014, 05:28 AM

Beautiful quilt! I'd name it 'Mid Summer Crop Circles'.
BTW, what is a 'Hang it, Dang it'?
Old 03-24-2014, 05:35 AM
Power Poster

My best friend and I are about to start our Judy Niemeyer quilts. I am doing Island Sunrise (New York Beauty). Any helpful suggestions?? We are BOTH bad at reading directions !! THANKS
Old 03-24-2014, 05:38 AM

Swirling Lights or Swirling Sands
Old 03-24-2014, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
My best friend and I are about to start our Judy Niemeyer quilts. I am doing Island Sunrise (New York Beauty). Any helpful suggestions?? We are BOTH bad at reading directions !! THANKS
I am working on my first paper piecing project, Judy's Bali Wedding Star. One of the keys is to understand that the "Pattern" is what you sew all the fabric on and the "Templates" are cut oversized so as to be trimmed down after the sewing. Do you have the "Add a Quarter" ruler? In several of her patterns, she uses both the 6 inch and the 12 inch. It has a lip that rests on your folded back pattern to insure that your fabric that has been sewn on is trimmed down correctly. You use this trimmed back edge to match the next fabric that is being sewn on.

I used the 28mm rotary cutter to trim down all my curved pieces. My Fiskar scissors with the extra sharp cutting edges....the small orange ones with the gray inserts... a lot.

None of this makes a whole lot of sense without seeing it. I think that is why Judy's directions seem so odd. It is just very hard to describe without you seeing it. There are several good YouTube videos on her techniques.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q1i4cziyPY

This is a complete playlist of videos related to Judy's patterns. Even though the title isn't your project, the techniques are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...lJpfUXU3AHtej_

Final comment.....It isn't nearly as hard as it looks and the results are just beautiful!

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 03-24-2014 at 05:53 AM.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:13 AM

This is all excellent advice. One big hint is to check her website for corrections in her patterns. They are easy after you understand the directions although they can sound a little intimidating but take it step by step and realize that each step has a reason to do it that way. I also did her Christmas Celebrations tree skirt. I about beat my brains out trying to figure out one part of it. I sewed it and sewed it over and over again finally to realize it was another mistake not in the 'corrections page' on her website. I love her patterns and can't wait for one that is coming out very soon. Can't remember the name of it but it is like a big flower. so pretty. (Like I don't have enough projects already).

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
I am working on my first paper piecing project, Judy's Bali Wedding Star. One of the keys is to understand that the "Pattern" is what you sew all the fabric on and the "Templates" are cut oversized so as to be trimmed down after the sewing. Do you have the "Add a Quarter" ruler? In several of her patterns, she uses both the 6 inch and the 12 inch. It has a lip that rests on your folded back pattern to insure that your fabric that has been sewn on is trimmed down correctly. You use this trimmed back edge to match the next fabric that is being sewn on.

I used the 28mm rotary cutter to trim down all my curved pieces. My Fiskar scissors with the extra sharp cutting edges....the small orange ones with the gray inserts... a lot.

None of this makes a whole lot of sense without seeing it. I think that is why Judy's directions seem so odd. It is just very hard to describe without you seeing it. There are several good YouTube videos on her techniques.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q1i4cziyPY

This is a complete playlist of videos related to Judy's patterns. Even though the title isn't your project, the techniques are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...lJpfUXU3AHtej_

Final comment.....It isn't nearly as hard as it looks and the results are just beautiful!
Old 03-25-2014, 04:40 AM

A really beautiful quilt and I am glad you found a ay to hang it for greatest impact. Hope you can post a bigger picture.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:18 AM

I'd name it swirling circles. I always like to keep my quilt names simple.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:35 AM

Your avatar looks lovely but agree it would be so nice to see a larger photo to fully appreciate your quilt!