Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just an Idea I have. >

Just an Idea I have.

Just an Idea I have.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:22 PM

Soap or bee's wax. Both work great but the bee's wax doesn't crumble as quickly as the soap.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Carol J. View Post
That works with the soap exposed in your hand but would move out of the way inside of cloth I would think. My daughter showed me how she pulled the safety pin through her hair and it would slip through the cloth diaper so easily. Wool inside a pincushion would do the same, put oil on your pins and needles and they won't rust. But you try your idea and if it works for you, it will work for us.
When I was doing a lot of hand quilting and the needle would get hard to push through the fabric I would rub it in my hair and it would be fine for a long time. I do turn needles black though. lol
Old 12-08-2011, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by SharonTheriault View Post
Every since I started sewing when I was young, whenever a needle or pin got stubborn on going in the fabric, I always stroked it through my hair and it would work great after that. Someone once told me she had seen her grandmother do that when she saw me do it. I told her the oil lubricated the pin to make it easier to push into fabric. Sure beats having a bar of soap around. I know where my hair is, but that bar of soap can get lost so easily.
I'm still chuckling over your answer...somedays I don't even know where my hair is...
Old 12-08-2011, 04:41 PM

Hair, what's that? Mine is so short I can't run my fingers through it, so I better not try a needle or pin.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:43 PM

That is very interesting. If you try it, please post pics for us and let us know how it works. I'm curious.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:59 PM

I didn't know about the soap trick but I gotta tell you, never in a million years would I have thought of the hair thing. Gonna try this next sewing session. Thanks ladies!!!
Old 12-10-2011, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Carol J. View Post
That works with the soap exposed in your hand but would move out of the way inside of cloth I would think. My daughter showed me how she pulled the safety pin through her hair and it would slip through the cloth diaper so easily. Wool inside a pincushion would do the same, put oil on your pins and needles and they won't rust. But you try your idea and if it works for you, it will work for us.
I don't know where I learned to do the pin through the hair thing, but used that method with all five of my children when they were in diapers.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

I too used ivory soap for the pins when my kids were in diapers. I suggest trying a prototype and seeing if you like it, maybe make adjustments. Good idea.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:57 AM

50 years ago my mother taught me the needle in the bar of soap trick. It has never failed me. I crocheted some of the ducks to go over dove soap to use as room fresheners - never thought about using them as pin cushions. I think I still have some half-finished ducks in one of my craft boxes. This would be a good reason to finish one.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:24 AM

I'd cover teh entire bar of soap with a cute cover - it is heavy enough it should not slide away or get lost too easy as it is big. Plus, if it is exposed to the air the room will be forever fresh - nice idea.