Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just an idea

Just an idea

Has anyone thought of putting a little pocket on the back of your quilt to put something special in it?

Maybe a note or something you want to just hide.
    Linda J.

I've put a pocket on the back of a baby quilt. When I gave it as a gift I included a small flat teddy bear in the pocket. The pocket ended up being used for a pacifier. I think it's a great idea.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

I have thought about making a bed quilt (for a pre-teen) with several pockets on the top half, but haven't gotten to it yet.

Blog Entries
    I think I saw this done somewhere but can't remember where just now. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Power Poster
    ​I did a couple of blue jean quilts with large squares and I used several with the pockets but on the front.

I've seen in magazines and tv quilt shows that some people make a pocket out of the label and put some scraps of the fabric in there for later repairs.
    Pat

Pfaff 7510, Viking Mega Quilter, Viking Quilt Designer II, Singer Treadle

http://craftypat.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    i have heard of that, but never tried it myself
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

A pocket in a quilt holds a storybook nicely ... even nicer if the quilt is the story.

I've also heard that some people put extra fabrics, under the label, so that if the quilt needs mending later, then the fabrics are there and waiting.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I put pockets on the back of a quilt if I have a quilt story that goes with the quilt. It is usually when I have too much information to put on a label that I do a quilt story.

It's a fun thing to do,and I've done it lots of times for kid's quilts.

Blog Entries
    This is a timely question. I'm making a quilt for my niece's 10 year old foster son whom they are trying to adopt this year. I'm in CA and they live in GA so I haven't met the boy. All I know about him is that he likes camping and fishing, so I'm making that as theme for the quilt. For the backing I was thinking about making a simple landscape of the sky and sun on the top 1/4th, and green on the bottom 3/4ths with a watch face appliqued on it, then put these instructions in a pocket: "This is a secret Navy Seal method to make an improvised compass. It uses your watch and works anywhere in the Northern Hemisphere. Simply take your watch off and point the hour hand at the sun. Now imagine a line halfway between the hour hand and the 12:00 position. In the Northern Hemisphere that line is south, and opposite that direction is north." I imagine little boys like secrets. I haven't figured out how to incorporate a pocket in the grassy area yet. Maybe I'll get some inspiration here.

I made a memory quilt for a friend of mine who's father passed away. I made it from some of his shirts & hankies (he never went anywhere without a hankie...just in case someone needed one). I sewed one of the button pockets on the back of the quilt & put the label inside the pocket. Just made for an extra special quilt for her.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    One reason I don't cut the pockets off jeans or shirts for denim quilts or even flannel shirts.

I have. I made my mom a quilt for Christmas and I put a little corner pockets on end - I even put zippers on them I was really happy with how they turned out

Saw this idea on pinterest:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...30c708e0c0.jpg

Saved it because I'm thinking of making a quilt from my dad's shirts. I realized I'm not ready for doing this, but will be someday. I wanted to use a pocket from a shirt and slip in a note, but was worried it would fall out. This idea solves that!
    Happy quilting everybody!

Any risk of a child's foot getting caught in the pocket ? Just a thought, which is why I haven't actually put one on one the back of a quilt. I did put a pocket on the front of a doll quilt and stuck a packet of tissues in it for the recipient to blow her baby's doll's nose Or hide stuff.

when I made graduation quilts I took a pocket, either zipper or button down, from old jeans and tucked some cash in it. It was their 'emergency stash'. I don't imagine it stayed there too long!

Blog Entries
    what a great idea.

great idea!!

Name:  IMG_0769.JPG
Views: 172
Size:  1.11 MBName:  IMG_0637.JPG
Views: 170
Size:  941.9 KBThis is a wall hanging I am working on will put photo
    On left in a pocket on back do that I know what the original looked liked.

Blog Entries
    This quilt is a pocket. (Not my idea) a kit.

Name:  DSC05145.JPG
Views: 115
Size:  110.4 KB

You have a good idea going. Make it work for you.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I made a Picnic/Beach jeans quilt for my daughter and put a pocket in one of the corners (actually more a hidden zipper
    compartment) Put it in a striped square and it disappeared, or blended in, just perfectly. Fake quilted the front part before I added the pocket. Perfect for keeping keys, I.D., etc. Don't know if she remembers there is a pocket there or not, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    ​I did a couple of blue jean quilts with large squares and I used several with the pockets but on the front.
    Oh I have a jean quilt like this one! First it was my college bedspread, later after getting married, 3 kids played on it before learning to walk, then traveled to many picnics and ball games over the years. Everyone loved the pockets!

Blog Entries
    I made a couple T-shirt quilts and put a long pocket on the front for a cell phone or TV remote. Much appreciated.

Blog Entries
    we donate 3 jean quilts a year to our church raffles and 1 to the fire department raffle, always put a small animal in 1 pocket

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast