Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just a Little Venting... >

Just a Little Venting...

Just a Little Venting...

Old 08-11-2021, 05:46 AM

We've all been thru what you're going thru now. Heck, I'm still going thru it from time to time. Heck, I goofed up just the other day and didn't realize it till I put it on the quilt frame and then it came to me. I even used EQ8 to print out my paper piecing blocks and some how I didn't check to make sure they were the correct size when they printed out. I went ahead and stitched all the sections together..........24 of one size and 12 of another size just a tad smaller. I now find out that they are way too large so I had to figure out what I could do to fix this problem without having to start over as I don't have enough of the tone on tone background fabric. So you see, we all make mistakes from time to time.

Also made another mistake on the blocks for the valances for this project so Jack Ripper and I have a date to rip out that mistake.
Old 08-11-2021, 10:58 AM
Power Poster

I have been quilting since 1966-67. I have tried many times to make a perfect quilt. After making hundreds I still have not made a perfect quilt. Just a little competition with myself. If a seam doesn't line up after three tries then it stays.

If I like my finished quilts then that is all that matters. I do mostly FMQ, I love it and love doing it. I donate most all quilts to foster kids in our county. I make them to be warm and use pretty colors. I would never enter a quilt into competition. Just not my bag.
Old 08-11-2021, 02:05 PM

You are not alone! I am always attempting to make a better 1/4" seam. I know that once in awhile I can get it right but sometimes not. Some of my quilts are beautiful and the untrained eye will never know the difference. I have yet to see any quilt police "ever" but I still don't think I am safe.
Vent away but just keep quilting.
Old 08-12-2021, 03:41 AM

I practice FMO on 12-14" squares that can be made into other stuff...bowl cozies, zipper bags, etc.
everyone enjoys receiving those!
Old 08-12-2021, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by eliza422 View Post
In every craft I've been involved in - and a few I haven't - I have heard this apocryphal statement about it. I'm not sure if it's just to make people feel better about their own work or whatever, but this is not unique to quilting!
Don't give up! What you see is a mistake you may not be able to find later or others may not see it unless you point it out to them. As for free motion quilting it takes practice. Put on some music and relax. Spray starch your tops and backing will make it easier to quilt without puckering. Practice on charity quilts - Linus quilts, foster quilts, quilts for the homeless and lap quilts for nursing homes to name a few. I just saw somewhere that a woman was making placemats for meals on wheels. Small projects are good items to practice on. Good luck to you!
Old 08-12-2021, 06:26 AM

In the words of the great Dory “Just keep swimming (quilting)”
we quilt because we love it. We try and we do get better with each finished project but perfection can not be the goal

ENJOY
Old 08-13-2021, 01:14 PM

All of those issues are old friends of mine! Who is going to measure a gift quilt! ? If they do don't give them another. Usually if your blocks are accurate before setting them together your quilt will be very near perfectly square. I usually straighten mine up a bit on the edges before binding but that is all.
Old 08-13-2021, 01:20 PM

All of those issues are old friends of mine! Who is going to measure a gift quilt! ? If they do don't give them another. Usually if your blocks are accurate before setting them together your quilt will be very near perfectly square. I usually straighten mine up a bit on the edges before binding but that is all.
Old 08-13-2021, 04:19 PM

My goal is always to do my best, and I know I've improved greatly. But I'm not selling quilts, and have zero interest in having them judged (way too intimidating for me), so if they have minor imperfections, so be it. I really find that once quilted, and especially when washed, it would be hard to find most little things.

If a point is off by a lot, and I have the ability to fix it, I will. I finally learned that a point that is a the edge needs the seam taken in, although it seems backward to me, lol. So I can do that to get a point that will still show in the block. But if my seam is already under 1/4", or if it's not really showing, so be it. I do this for enjoyment and for myself, not for a living. Like many, I don't need more stress in my life.
Old 08-14-2021, 04:16 PM

I used to beat myself up after quilt. It just didn't feel like it was very good. Then I compared the last quilt I made to one I had made several years ago. I realized I WAS improving. But it didn't seem that way because your skill only makes small improvements quilt to quilt. So, I would suggest that you look at a quilt you made some time ago and make the comparison from there. You will be surprised.