Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it just me or is this expensive. >

Is it just me or is this expensive.

Is it just me or is this expensive.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:53 AM

Same here... If you want it thicker you can alway's double it.
Originally Posted by dungeonquilter
I used regular cotton batting and 505 spray adhesive for mine. Worked very well. And as the batting was left overs, it didn't cost me anything.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:05 PM

use left over batting. or left over fannel, any thig will make linning the bottom should be stiff but you can cover cardboard and in sert so you can take outfor washing
Old 10-08-2010, 12:07 PM

If your Walmart still has fabric, RUN and get some Pellon. At my Walmart, the fusible fleece is only $3.97 yd and the non-fusible is $2.77.

PLUS - the bow tuck bag's instructions tell you that you'll need 2 yds of fusible fleece. That's way too much. I think I use about a yard for each bag.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by costumegirl
We must live in the same city!! I think it is very expensive - you have to add on the 13% Ontario tax too. I hardly ever find anything at Fabricland. I was looking for the aluminu ironing board fabric and it was $20 and not very nice (was really rough and had defects).

The border is very close to me so I go to Joann's with coupons and it is a nice outing for the day. Even with the border crossing fees and the the 6% MI tax it is much cheaper.
I hate Fabricland too but sometimes it is the only option for me. I used to live in Victoria, and was able to get to the US quite often but now that I am outside of Edmonton it is just too far but I keep telling my DD that we should save some money and go on a road trip. At least in Alberta we don't have a provincial sales tax so all we pay is the 5% GST on our purchases but the fabric costs are still waaaaaay to costly in Canada.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Living the Dream
If your Walmart still has fabric, RUN and get some Pellon. At my Walmart, the fusible fleece is only $3.97 yd and the non-fusible is $2.77.

PLUS - the bow tuck bag's instructions tell you that you'll need 2 yds of fusible fleece. That's way too much. I think I use about a yard for each bag.
Unfortunately Walmart here turned stupid and decided it was a good idea to get rid of their fabric department and have been selling things at clearence prices that aren't even clearnance prices. I know of one Walmart in the states that still sells the bolt fabric I'll have to check their next time I'm over. Good to know that I don't need so much pellon for the bow tuck bag I just got the pattern and haven't tried making one yet. New to quilting and sewing.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:24 PM

I do think that seems a little steep. To be honest, I really do not know what fusible fleece runs at the LQS. I generally buy 5-10 yards at a time (I like to keep it on hand) and have other fabric cuts done as well. I have never taken the time to look at my receipt. I do figure that on a Bow-Tucks purse, I probably have about $30 in fabrics/fusible fleece. It depends on if I am using fabric from the LQS or fabric that I have just accumulated from here and there over the years.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:58 PM

I bought fusible fleece at my LQS for $8.99 and some more in Markdale, Ontario for $9.99 a metre. I made some of my purses with this and some with batting and basting spray and there was very little difference. When I ran out of spray I used some of that tape that melts and sticks (Wonder Under?) to hold the batting in place a little better. That worked too. I also used some old stiff pellon that had been prestamped for Artex liquid embroidery (now that's old!)and it was great for bags too. Experiment a little and see whats kicking around your sewing room.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:30 PM

I use the fusible fleece from walmart, it is 3.97 a yard. We are down to only 2 stores with fabric tho
Old 10-08-2010, 02:47 PM

It seems like Fabricland has raised their prices enormously lately, and I'm guessing it's so they make more money when they have their half price sales. I emailed them about it and never got a reply. Obviously they're not too concerned. Perhaps they will be when they price themselves out of the market. It's probably cheaper to buy the pellon at a quilt shop or order online.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:05 PM

costumegirl wrote: The border is very close to me so I go to Joann's with coupons and it is a nice outing for the day. Even with the border crossing fees and the the 6% MI tax it is much cheaper.[/quote]

You have to pay a Border crossing fee????? Wow. Never knew that. Is that to come INTO the US?