Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it just me or is this expensive. >

Is it just me or is this expensive.

Is it just me or is this expensive.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by cindle
I went to Fabric Land (I dispise this store) to buy some things to start making a bow tuck tote. So after first trying to find someone to help me for a good 10 minutes I stood at the cash when a sales lady finally approached me asking if I needed help. I asked her where the pellon was and she showed me. I would never have found it because it was hidded under their cutting tables. She finds the one I need and is just about to cut when I asked how much it was meter. She then replied it is $15 a meter. I think my jaw hit the ground. I was like forget that I can get it cheaper in the states and walked out. Is pellon usually that expensive? When you make a bow tuck tote how much do all your supplies usually cost? Sorry this is so long I just can't believe the cost some things at some stores compaired to the cost at others.

Yes unfortunatly I also paid that price at Fabricville, I was lucky during my vacation in Portland, Maine to be there during their sales and I used their reduction coupons which I downloaded from their internet site, it was 7,98$ a yard and 50% rebate, I bought the whole roll at half price. So far I've made 5 bow tuck bags and I still can go far with what's left of the roll.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:32 AM

I don't know where in Ontario you are, but if you are near a Lens Mill Outlet go and take a look. The largest is in Guelph/Cambridge, and a couple of smaller ones are Brantford, and Stoney Creek. Google their website, they may even mail to you. Fabricland knows there are fewer stores we can go to for fabric and tend to be higher on other than basic cotton.
Good luck from Oakville.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:14 AM

you can buy pellon direct from the manufacture. I do and it is great to get what I need at good price. www.shoppellon.com. I do buy the larger bolts as I love the legacy batting.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:18 AM

Holy cow! Are you close enough to the border to go to Niagara Falls, N.Y. or Buffalo? It might be worth the trip!!
Old 10-10-2010, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by mac
[You have to pay a Border crossing fee????? Wow. Never knew that. Is that to come INTO the US?
It's usually when you come back over to Canada. I think when I came back over 2 weeks ago it was about $3.25 but it all depends if your driving a car thats what you pay if you are driving a truck it's more or a camper as well I think it cost per axle. And if you live in the states you pay before entering Canada. There are also tolls on some of the highways on the American side and I also pay $1.10 to cross the Grand Island bridge if I go to Amherst.[/quote]
If you aren't in a hurry, take Niagara Falls Boulevard...no toll.

Seems like they get you coming and going.
Sales tax here in the San Francisco Bay Area is 9 1/4%. Paying almost 10% on top of the purchase for sales tax is more than crossing the bridges and countries. :([/quote]
Old 10-10-2010, 10:13 AM

I just bought some for postcards at a wall mart that still carries fabric and it was $5.00 a yard. For the purse I just madeI used a lighter iron on one since I was putting a zipper in it and I only needed 3/4 a yard. I also get it at a quilt shop. Have you tried to purchase it on line. There are many places and some have free shipping with purchases
Old 10-10-2010, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by sjhughson
I am different, I guess, but I don't feel responsible for supporting any shop. I buy all my quilting fabric on-line now and don't give a whit that the LQS charges over $10 US/yd. I don't need the lastest fabrics to make my quilting projects. I'm not paying that much for fabric. I try to shoot for $3/yd. I do have a big stash to pull from. I might change my mind in 20 yrs after I use all that up. I get my notions with Joann's coupons.
I agree with you. I buy almost all of my fabric online because the prices are soo much better than buying from my LQS. I can't afford to pay $15 to $20 metre (39") when I can get the same fabrics from the US for less than half the price. I was at a show recently and saw the new Stonehenge fabrics at $18 metre and recently saw them online at $9. If the stores in Canada were competitive with the prices online I would certainly support them but I just can't at their prices. Can't wait to take a road trip to the US to stock up on batting and fabric.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by jean knapp
I just bought some for postcards at a wall mart that still carries fabric and it was $5.00 a yard. For the purse I just madeI used a lighter iron on one since I was putting a zipper in it and I only needed 3/4 a yard. I also get it at a quilt shop. Have you tried to purchase it on line. There are many places and some have free shipping with purchases
The places that offer free shipping only offer it if it is shipped to the US. You still pay the shipping if it is going to Canada no matter how much you spend!
Old 10-10-2010, 12:03 PM

The Peltex pellon is around $10 per yard here in the Charlotte, NC area but at Mary Jo's in Gastonia it may be a little cheaper.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:06 PM
np3
Power Poster

Is there an inexpensive way for us to ship to you in Canada? Your prices are just crazy!!!!