Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just an observation... >

Just an observation...

Just an observation...

Old 03-14-2010, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
Just as an example I was looking at Sharon Schamber's award winning quilt, The Spitit Of Mother Earth. Look at the close-ups and you will see that it is not perfect in every single way. There are waves and such but how much does that matter when looking at it as a whole?

http://sharonschambernetwork.com/gal...oME/index.html
If Sharon Schamber, an extraordinary quilter, makes a "mis-sew" and it is okay, then surely I should be forgiving of my imperfections :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 03-15-2010, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
I have been quilting for 30 yrs and I sell my stuff. But I still have points that get lost no matter how many times I try to fix it! Noone is perfect. There are always mistakes I can point out in my stuff. My criteria is can I live with it? If the answer is yes it stays that way!! I don't think anybody but me really notices my mistakes. But I sure know they are there!!

One time I made a hotpad that had a pinwheel like design and one of the blades was in upside down and completely disconnected from the rest of the pinwheel. But I did't notice it til I had the hotpad completely quilted down!! No way I could undo it at that stage!! I showed it to the store owner and she bought it anyway. Someone bought it from the store so either they didn't notice it was wrong or they didn't care!! LOL It jumped out at me like a sore thumb!! Maybe they thought I did it on purpose! LOL
Checked out your website....love it. Impressed by your miniatures.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:15 AM

I know exactly what you mean. In my guild there is a lady who wows us every month with beautiful pieced and/or appliqued quilts, many hand quilted. She is sought after locally to teach workshops and give demonstrations as she seems to be a master at quilting. Secretly my friend and I call her the "mutant quilter" because it doesn't seem possible for any human to make as many quilts as she does.

Last year we were at a quilting retreat and she went to bed before my friend and I. After a while we strolled over to her workstation to get a closer look at a couple of the projects she had left out on the table. Imagine our surprise when we saw seams that didn't quite match up, points that were slightly chopped off, and appliques that were a little lumpy.

Needless to say, we both feel much better about our quilts now, knowing that even the "mutant's" quilts aren't perfect. I give most of my quilts to family, charities, and fundraisers, and I haven't had a complaint yet!
Old 05-03-2010, 12:56 PM

I, too, worked so hard to make points perfect and seams match that it took the fun out of piecing. Now I hand applique. I don't have to be so perfect. My husband also notices quilts at Quilt shows and points out other quilters errors. Let's us all know that none of us are perfect. What a relief!