Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
just one more post on charity quilts... >

just one more post on charity quilts...

just one more post on charity quilts...

Old 08-12-2011, 03:24 PM

A well run raffle can generate alot of $$ for a charity/cause . People will spend a dollar or two on a chance to win a great quilt ... Think about how many people play the lottery... same principal ... a few bucks .. and maybe a big prize... the only difference is that in your case the people buying the tickets will feel that no matter if they win or not the money is still going to a good cause.
Quilt Raffles can be a big supplement to raising $$$.
I made a quilt and donated it to a great cause , and thought they might use it in a silent auction fund raiser they were having. The president of the organization contacted me and asked if I minded if they had a raffle instead... as it would raise far more $$$ than in a silent auction. I was honored they thought enough of my efforts to find the most effective way to use the quilt in their fund raising efforts.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:27 PM

Of course you are not bad. We must consider how best to help. Quilts, money, volunteerism, prayer, political action, etc.

Originally Posted by ptquilts
...if you can stand it....

I have not made any, my charity is of the $$ variety.

But all the posts on charity quilts got me thinking about the first ones I ever heard of, about 15-20 years ago.
The local guild (I am not a member) was making quilts to send to Albania, I think it was, for kids who were dying of AIDS because hypodermic needles were being re-used in the hospitals.

My first thought was, why aren't they making a raffle quilt to raise money so the hospitals can buy NEW needles (or they can send needles overseas) and prevent more kids from getting sick?

Am I bad for thinking that? and is sending a quilt to someone always the most appropriate solution for a problem?