Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just Sliced My Finger >

Just Sliced My Finger

Just Sliced My Finger

Old 02-21-2013, 08:01 AM

Welcome to the club! I am always forgetting to close the rotary cutter and sliced the side of my thumb this time. I have seen people wear those metal gloves on the quilting shows, but don't think I could stand to wear them.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:57 AM

I also cut my index finger, chipping the bone. It required 7 stitches. When I got back from urgent care....I finished cutting my fabric! I have been much more careful since then. I discovered that my problem was two-fold, 1) I had previously nicked my ruler and the cutter slid right over the nick and onto the top of the ruler, and 2) I was cutting waaaaay to fast! You also have to make sure your blade is sharp and not dull...that also can cause accidents!
Old 02-21-2013, 08:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Ouch! So sorry. If your first thought was that you must not bleed on the fabric, then yes, you are a real quilter.
It's a good thing I was not sipping my ginger ale when I read this one!!
Old 02-21-2013, 09:31 AM

Well, I didn't need stitches when I cut off the side of my left index finger. It cut it clean off from the 1st joint right off the end along side the nail. Thank goodness it didn't cut into the nail bed, would have been much worse. My grandson took me to the drug store and I got some of the bandages that you put on and leave until it comes off by itself. It stayed on about 8 days, my finger was red and tender but almost completely healed. Now my finger is fat on one side and skinny on the other side.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:14 AM

I had to laugh when I read your response....yes I did the same thing, but not on New Year's eve. My girlfriend I were teaching a group of new quilters and had talked about watching what you were doing when cutting and being careful, etc. After the class we went to her house and I was helping her cut some strips and we were talking...well, I looked up and cut at same time...I now have a flat spot on the left index finger by my nail....sliced that little piece right off. First thing she said was...did you bleed on my fabric....I said NO...she took me to the er...I could not stop the bleeding. No stitches though...they just scrubbed it and put something in it to heal it....now just a flat spot and a memory.

Originally Posted by Anita in DE View Post
Oh I did that too! Did it on New Year's eve afternoon. Now I have a flat spot on the side of my left index finger. No I didn't bleed on the fabric. Heaven forbid! Hope all goes well for you!
Old 02-21-2013, 10:18 AM

Last August I cut the tip of my ring finger off, half way done the nail. Ouch! Had to go to ER to have it stitched back on. They told me it may not "take" but it did. Now the tip is always numb but at least I have it. I am very careful now with the rosters cutter.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:19 AM

Rotary cutter.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:42 AM

Ewwwwwwwwwwwww
Old 02-21-2013, 11:49 AM

Welcome to the club of many! I recently cut mine with a pinking rotary cutter - didn't need stitches. And I didn't bleed on my fabric either (major concern at the time) I promptly purchased a 'klutz glove' on my next trip to Joann's. I know better than to pick up the cutter when I'm tired.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:07 PM
Power Poster

You are definitely a member of the slice and dice club so yes you are a real quilter now and wear your bandage with pride. Hope it gets better soon. Nice to have a nurse in the house too.