Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Just thought you would want to know

I have had a terrible time using Coat's and Clark's bobbin thread - I thought something was wrong with my machine - it kept tangling, and pulling top thread into bobbin, really messed up a T-shirt I was trying to embroidery.

I filled another bobbin with just plain old thread (not Coat's and Clark) and it was a breeze. I just don't know why Coat's would not work.

Coats and Clark thread is a low end thread. That's probably why. I won't use it.

I quit using c & C years ago because of problems. Now I only use thread from Superior thread. I know it could be a bit pricey but it is well worth it. Go to web site and buy the "try me" thread.

I never, ever use coats and clark. Period. I've always had problems with it because the quality is so touch and go that I just don't bother with it. I use Superior for quilting and Connecting Threads for Piecing. :)

I have had the same problems here, i refuse to even have it in the house now. Has caused me lots of problems.

Blog Entries
    I agree. I won't buy C & C now if it is made in Mexico. I bought some black and white spools one day since the price was right and I needed those particular colors. I never would have thought a particular thread would mess up my machine. But, it can and does. Changed brands, no problems with the same machine. Weird, if you ask me!
    :-D

I don't use it either. Once I realized it was the thread causing all my issues, I gave away a huge bag of it to a friend that just sews when necessary. She was thrilled.

I have always used Coats and Clark and the only time I've ever had any problems was when I was still hand sewing the binding down. It would shred and generally make a mess. But it works great in my Brother and have discovered the machine sewing the bindings looks good too!

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
    I have always used Coats and Clark and the only time I've ever had any problems was when I was still hand sewing the binding down. It would shred and generally make a mess. But it works great in my Brother and have discovered the machine sewing the bindings looks good too!
    Same here and absolutely love the varigated Coats and Clark thread!

Probably still have some C & C thread around, but was given lots of spool ends of polyester thread from a sweat shop that closed. It was being thrown away. I was going to give it away, but never got around to it. It sat in a corner for yearsssss. One night I was going to hem the binding on a quilt and didn't feel like going out (gas $$!) and thought I'd look in the bag of polyester thread spools. Found one the perfect match for color. Fired up my needle and started hemming. WOW! Fantastic! Doesn't knot and I love it. Haven't tried it in the bobbin, but that is next.
    Happy quilting.

Hi...I have discover YLI thread...it is quite expensive but is the most beautiful thread to sew with...both my husqvarna and Pfaff love it....before I was using a coats 100% but it kept snapping...just don't have that problem any more....and if I need to unpick it comes away so easily. Haven't tried FMQ with FYI but they must have threads for it.

Thanks everyone for your input - only wish I knew about Coat's; but this is really the only time it has been a problem - however, I won't be using it anymore.

Always use that brand and never had a problem..Could be the bobbin thread you bought was for embroidery machine work?

Blog Entries
    always use coats & clark and have had no issues. sorry to hear of your trouble.

So funny how tempermental our little machines can be- a bit spoiled maybe. My machine LOVES coats and clark- and isacord but throws a tantrim every time i have tried to use sulky or gutteman. i haven't used connecting threads yet but want to same with superior threads. never even heard of it

Blog Entries
    I only use Coats and Clarks when I'm mending or making clothes and need thread to match - seems they have the best selection of colors.

That is why I use only Prewound Bobbins when I embroider....

Blog Entries
    i bought some Coats and Clark thread and it turned out to be poly on poly. but it does fine in my bobbin. not the top needle though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
    That must have been my problem... none of my machines are a Brother. I am inclined to believe that our machines are picky... why, I don't have a clue. Guess they are a little like each of us. We have certain things we love; certain things we like and then, there are the things we can't stand or at least have a dislike for. LOL :lol: :lol:

Banned
    I still buy the older Coats when I can find it. Recently found a shop that was going out of business and bought al they had for 25 cents a spool. I find the older thread ok but not the newer.

thanks for the info!

I use Sulky bobbin thread for my sewing and OESD bobbin thread for embroidery. They seem to work the best for me.

I don't have any issues with coats and clarks threads. I've been using them recently - just bought a spool of yellow and did FMQ on my mechanical Brother and it was just fine.

When I bought my sewing/embroidery machine, the instructor in the "new owner" class did a bit on different threads; and she told us that we should never use C & C in our machine because of the amount of lint it produces. Ever since then, I never use it.

I am so lucky that my Kenmore/Janome has peon tastes. As long as I talk nice to her, she accepts any old thread and does a beautiful stitch and she doesn't care what bobbin thread I throw at her either. Mostly her diet consists of C and C, Connecting Threads, and an occasional Sulky or Gutterman. She even accepts Signature and, if desperate for a color, Serger thread with cotton in the bobbin. Does this nullify my board membership? Oh, no, I should never have confessed.
    PS, this is the truth, but all in jest.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast