Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just when I thought I had double checked... :'( >

Just when I thought I had double checked... :'(

Just when I thought I had double checked... :'(

Old 11-20-2012, 07:16 AM

Unhappy Just when I thought I had double checked... :'(

I'm still working on my queen size t-shirt racing quilt, I have it on my frame and double checked everything before I even put it on my frame! I was supposed to be just perfect with some overhang I am now on my last t-shirt row and guess what! My batting is 3 inches too short! I could just cry :'(

I've been trying to figure out what to do, I used W&N batting so I think at this point since its all quilted up to that 3" mark that I will have to cut a 3" batting and sew it onto or tape it onto my other batting and continue quilting that little piece in there....I'm just sad because I checked so much and thought everything was perfect and its not and now I may have to take it all off my frame to get that new piece of bat put on then re-pin it ALL back on and finish it out....

I'm doing a meandering pattern on it and wanted to do a cute little half block pattern going around my border...Now I am just worried that little 3" batting piece is going to bundle up on me when I try doing that

Any ideas or help for me in this situation? Has it ever happened to you?
Old 11-20-2012, 07:23 AM

If you sew the 3 inch strip to the rest of the batting and quilt it pretty close it should be alright. I personally haven't done this, but I think the quilting draws the batting up somewhat. Good luck, but I think it will be alright.
Sue
Old 11-20-2012, 07:28 AM

I've had it happen. I know you just what to cry and scream at the same time. I just added to mine and it worked out fine. Never really new how it happened, other than that little bugger must have crawled around. Good luck!
Penny
Old 11-20-2012, 07:33 AM

You should be all right if you sew that extra batting strip to what's already there. I've done it many times when I miscalculated (OK, I botched the batting layout in my eagerness to get the quilting done). I just sew the new batting onto the existing with a herringbone stitch--or some other stitch about 2 inches apart. Once it's quilted, you'd never know because the quilting holds the new piece of batting securely in place. Just be certain to use the same batting as in the rest of the quilt.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:35 AM
Power Poster

Don't take it off the frame. You can whip-stitch another piece of batting onto the end of the other piece while it's still loaded, and everything will be fine. Of course it's happened - to almost everyone who has a longarm. Sometimes it's because we load the batting crosswise when it should be up and down, sometimes we just don't measure right. But once it's quilted, you will never know it happened.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:54 AM

Man I HATE that when it happens. I agree with Dunster. Another thing that ticks me off is when I quilt to much causing the whole thing to shrink. Usually I make it bigger just in case. Once my DH seeing the top then seeing it quilted asked what happened did I cut it up to make it smaller? LOL
Old 11-20-2012, 07:57 AM

Awww thank you so much everyone! I will do that tonight and get this thing done finally! I will be sure to quilt it tightly so that thing does not slide around on me! it makes me feel a little better I am not the only one this has had this happen to them.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:03 AM

A quilting friend of mine suggested using my left over interfacing and using that to fuse the added batting to the other batting, it worked great and I quilted tightly so it all stays in place, and it was super easy and fast to do! yippie!