Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
just wondering >

just wondering

just wondering

Old 11-05-2012, 08:31 AM
Banned

Absolutely not - I might stop making quilts if I knew how long they took.
Like Lynnie I'm also working on several at the same time.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:39 AM

I chronicle my quilting process in my blog, that gives me a good estimation of how long I take to finish a project. But frankly, the time we take don't quite matter, it's the process and experience that matters more! I think it's kind of stressful if we are too bothered about how long it takes and why a project takes forever to complete. The keyword here is to enjoy what we are doing!
Old 11-05-2012, 08:44 AM

Nope.....and I wouldn't want to know. It's my "me" time. All I can tell you when I am putting on a binding, I love the sense of accomplishment.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:53 AM

I do keep track of my start/stop times, and also whatever music I'm listening to on my iPod while I work on that particular project. I've learned that it takes me an average of 10 hours to make a table runner, but for the bigger quilts, I'm afraid to add up my time. At least it's there if I ever need it!
Old 11-05-2012, 08:54 AM

Funny you should ask ... my brother asked me the same thing about a quilt I made for a friend's birthday. I really had no idea. So, I'm doing a lap-size mystery here on the board and thought I'd keep track. Since the quilt so far has simple blocks and is being done in steps, it is easy to see how much time I'm investing. It will be interesting to see at the end of the project the actual time it takes.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:25 AM

I've thought about it off and on, but there are so many variables that go into how long it takes to finish a quilt. When someone asks though, I always give an estimate of 6-9 months to complete a queen size quilt. Sometimes it is much faster, like when I send out to be long armed. But if I hand quilt, which is what I love to do 6-9 months is about right. Of course I work full time and take college courses part time so I don't have a lot of time on a daily basis to quilt.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:32 AM

I don't keep track, but I did notice that smaller sized projects, ie chair cover versus bed quilt, don't seem to take a proportionally shorter time! Workded a small project and wondered why it took so long for its size! But at least my shoulders got a break from wrestling the fabric to quilt it!
Old 11-05-2012, 09:45 AM

I guess that I would have to say that I am quilting for the pleasure of it, so no I do not count the hours I put in! If I did, I just might quit quilting! lol

TreeFrog
Old 11-05-2012, 10:24 AM

I was a Consultant and had to bill by time spent. I have a computer program for that. I have now converted the program to work for my quilting. The laptop is by my sewing machine and I simply start the time for the quilt I am working on. If I change projcets as I do. I simply start time on the second project which stops the time on the first project. My daughter is the one that made me spend the money on the program. Very glad she did as my billing for the Consulting is so easy to bill at the end of the month. And I can tell you how much time I have spent on each project, what ever it is.
Love the program.
PM me if you want the name of the program.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:49 AM

Since I do not sew professional I never found it necessary. If people ask me how long it took me, I tell them I really don't know because you don't count the hours you spend thinking of someone. And my quilts are most usually made for someone I really care about. Like on friend was very ill for 2 months before Christmas. I knew she was not going to feel like decorating for Christmas, so I made her a Christmas quilt. She still uses it and never puts it away.