Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kaleidoscope stuck! =) >

Kaleidoscope stuck! =)

Kaleidoscope stuck! =)

Old 05-26-2012, 04:16 AM

Mea, I remember I printed a picture so that I could experiment with colors on paper -- I am pretty sure it was from the free design section of fons and porter's site. I used the kaleidoscope template from marti mitchell to get my pieces right. they went together very easily!

I can not tell you how wonderful all of these compliments are! I appreciate them so much!!
thank you!
Lara
(hoping to quilt some today)
Old 05-26-2012, 05:00 AM
Power Poster

I was going to say circles, but Kitsie had a better idea!
Old 05-26-2012, 06:43 AM

Lara, i found the ruler on Marti's website. There's a picture of a book now out of print called "Kaleido-Krazy II" and the cover looks just like your quilt. The "kaleido" in the name makes me think of a different technique this isn't exactly kaleidoscope more like pinwheels to me but i am definitely going to try this. It is very interesting to me that just 2 fabrics can create this much movement. are the little triangles for the corners hard to work with?
Old 05-26-2012, 07:34 AM

FWIW, it is a good idea to make a couple of extra blocks so you can use them just to demo quilting designs.

Other preview techniques:

1. Lay a sheet of clear, rigid plastic (as used in report covers) over your quilt and sketch possible quilting designs on the plastic with a dry erase marker pen. You can photograph different design ideas and compare them by setting the photos side by side.

2. Photocopy a block or blocks, and print off a few copies. Pencil sketch design ideas onto the image of your quilt. Compare and contrast different approaches.

3. Print off an image of your quilt with quilt software, and sketch on that.

Quilting really makes the quilt! For yours I would emphasize the beautiful interlocking circles, keeping it simple. I like the sketch Kitsie did. Even stitch in the ditch would be lovely on this quilt as the block design adds enough all on its own.

Regards,
Janet
Old 05-26-2012, 07:50 AM
Banned

You have an ambitious undertaking since you said it is the second quilt you have free motioned quilted. However, the rest of the statement is a bit confusing. You continue by saying that the first was a crib quilt and you used the walking foot. Do you really mean you used the walking foot for free motion? Now having said that, from reading responses to questions as yours the common recommendation is usualy meandering or just overall quilting. We tend to forget that free motion is much more than just doodling or moving in a free design over the quilt. There are many stencils and quilting designs that are continuous for free motion quilting. I would consider something more specific for your quilt. Perhaps a block design that will fit into the space of each block. There are on line companies that have catalogs of such designs. Expand your thoughts beyond the meandering. I believe it will make a more attractive quilt.
Having said that #2. How confident do you feel in your free motion work? Your post sounds like you might need some more practice. Also, doing quilting only in the block area will make it easier to maneuver a larger quilt in and under the machine. I believe an all over would be difficult to do.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:13 AM

Somebody wanted the pattern. I got mine from the magazine QNM Jan/Feb 2001. I googled it and its available from E-bay and Amazon among other places!
Old 05-27-2012, 08:44 AM

I like the idea of circles, I can't wait to see your finished piece - I've been sort of stuck on a spiral free motion design on my latest quilt - using a batting with more loft than I normally do, and finding it's not as easy as the flatter bats.... have fun!
Old 05-27-2012, 09:43 AM

I would definately practice with your new foot. Draw your design on some muslin with backing and batting and practice until you feel it is right. You don't want to make mistakes on that beautiful quilt!
Old 05-28-2012, 02:43 PM

hmm. What's a flatter bat?

;0)
Old 05-28-2012, 02:44 PM

Mea, those triangles weren't hard at all. I do believe in starch, though! =)

Janet, I love your idea about making an extra block. I am a big fan of auditioning fabric; I am very visual, and those are great ways to find what I would like to quilt!

And Holice, you are so right -- I am NOT confident about fmq! I did use a walking foot on my baby quilt. I had different sized blocks, and I used it to fill in those spaces. They were fillers, not bigger than six or eight inches wide. I did a repeating S curve, and a circle that radiated. I stopped and started a lot! I will definitely practice. I also think I will check into markers that vanish. It might be best for me to use my walking foot to do Kitsie's circles.

I have learned that I will need to roll my quilt up nicely to fit in my arm space. any other tips?

I have not sewed in days =(

thank you so much for all of the wonderful advice. I have SIX other tops, waiting to be quilted. I am such a chicken! =))