Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: kalidescope quilts...

  1. #1
    Super Member ScubaK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Puget Sound, Wa. State
    Posts
    2,210
    Has anyone done these???
    I remember a couple of threads for these and would like to try one.
    Just need some allover advice...
    Fabric, books, aligning the strips to cut (helps), choices and putting it all together.
    How hard is it?
    Kirsten

  2. #2
    Moderator tlrnhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In the middle of a mess...
    Posts
    20,008
    Get in touch with K3N, she has done alot of them. I think she's addicted lol

  3. #3
    Super Member Baren*eh*ked_canadian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    1,960

  4. #4
    Senior Member Extreme Quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    383
    Melanie, who did your beautiful sketch? I love it.

  5. #5
    Super Member Yarn or Fabric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    3,393
    I bought a kaleidoscope template from Hancock's in their last notions 50% off sale - it has directions included with it to make it.... so I chose to not buy a book to do it. I'm planning on starting one very very soon - probably in September. I am mesmerized by them!!

    Every time I see them come up in the pictures section I just oooh and aaaah over them - I have read to use larger prints that do not have a lot of one color in them - so a more all over print as opposed to a solid color with just something scattered on top of it here or there if that makes any sense.
    I'm going to have to remember to take pictures of the fabric before I start cutting!

  6. #6
    Power Poster Ninnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Athens Ga
    Posts
    11,448

  7. #7
    Super Member Baren*eh*ked_canadian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    1,960
    Quote Originally Posted by Extreme Quilter
    Melanie, who did your beautiful sketch? I love it.
    I did :)

  8. #8
    Moderator tlrnhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In the middle of a mess...
    Posts
    20,008
    Quote Originally Posted by Extreme Quilter
    Melanie, who did your beautiful sketch? I love it.
    OH, OH, OH! Jumping up and down! I know the answer even tho she already posted it....SHE DID!! She's awesome with ALL the things she does! :) :) :)

  9. #9
    Super Member Baren*eh*ked_canadian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    1,960
    Lol, you're too nice, Terri!

  10. #10
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,956
    Quote Originally Posted by craftydeb
    I bought a kaleidoscope template from Hancock's in their last notions 50% off sale - it has directions included with it to make it.... so I chose to not buy a book to do it. I'm planning on starting one very very soon - probably in September. I am mesmerized by them!!

    Every time I see them come up in the pictures section I just oooh and aaaah over them - I have read to use larger prints that do not have a lot of one color in them - so a more all over print as opposed to a solid color with just something scattered on top of it here or there if that makes any sense.
    I'm going to have to remember to take pictures of the fabric before I start cutting!
    I need to check that out. They are having another 50% off notions soon and I want to get one too.


























































































  11. #11
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,956
    yikes!!!!!! I don't know how I did that to my post.

  12. #12
    Super Member butterflywing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    currently central new jersey
    Posts
    8,700
    Quote Originally Posted by KO24
    Has anyone done these???
    I remember a couple of threads for these and would like to try one.
    Just need some allover advice...
    Fabric, books, aligning the strips to cut (helps), choices and putting it all together.
    How hard is it?
    Kirsten
    ask rhonda if she can give you some advice on choosing fabrics, etc. she's been very helpful re: that part of it.

  13. #13
    kd124's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Camas, Washington
    Posts
    2,597
    Quote Originally Posted by Baren*eh*ked_canadian
    I recommend this book. I have done both Bethany Reynolds and this and prefered this one. They really are fun.

  14. #14
    Moderator tlrnhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In the middle of a mess...
    Posts
    20,008
    Quote Originally Posted by Baren*eh*ked_canadian
    Lol, you're too nice, Terri!
    Nope, not too nice, just telling it as I sees it!
    Gots me a purty picture on my wall that you did! :) :) :)

    And I should add....it's the ONLY picture anywhere in my house hung up :) :) Don't you REALLY feel special?

  15. #15
    Senior Member CindyBee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    739
    I haven't tried one yet, but I wanted to mention QuiltHome.com http://quilthome.com/index.php has a wonderful selection of large scale colorful fabrics that would be great for kalidescopes.

  16. #16
    Super Member Quilting Aggi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Posts
    2,609
    Those quilt are soooo much fun to make!

  17. #17
    Senior Member Extreme Quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    Quote Originally Posted by Extreme Quilter
    Melanie, who did your beautiful sketch? I love it.
    OH, OH, OH! Jumping up and down! I know the answer even tho she already posted it....SHE DID!! She's awesome with ALL the things she does! :) :) :)

    Now I really want to see "All the things she does!" Hear that, Melanie?

  18. #18
    Super Member Baren*eh*ked_canadian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    1,960
    Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    Quote Originally Posted by Baren*eh*ked_canadian
    Lol, you're too nice, Terri!
    Nope, not too nice, just telling it as I sees it!
    Gots me a purty picture on my wall that you did! :) :) :)

    And I should add....it's the ONLY picture anywhere in my house hung up :) :) Don't you REALLY feel special?


    <-------------------- * blushing *

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    83
    Kirsten,
    have you seen Paula Nadelstern's Kalidescope quilts, a real art form.
    I tried a couple and was pleased with them. What I did was used a 45 degree triangle piece of plastic. Positioned it on fabric where I wanted it and traced portion of fabric design so I could cut all 8 wedges exactly alike. When sewed together amazing designs are produced. Ms. Nadelstern carries this out to the ultimate by using many fabrics to create one wedge and then duplicates it 6 (this would be 60 degree triangle) or 8 times

    I didn't find them difficult to do, but you must be precise in the tracing so you cut each piece exactly the same. I never tried the method where you stack the fabrics with the designs exactly alike, it sounded to hard to me to get them all lined up. I also have 2 mirrors taped together on one edge, using that as the point of the triangle that will be the center of kalidescope you can get an idea of how kalidescope will look.

    hope this helps, have fun
    pat

  20. #20
    Senior Member Extreme Quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    383
    Speaking of Paula Nadelstern, were any of you able to catch her kaleidoscope quilts exhibit in New York recently? I did in May when we vacationed in Manhattan and boy, was it spectacular. All her quilts are so stunning and mesmerizing.

  21. #21

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    83
    I actually went twice, the second time was when she was giving a guided tour of the quilts.

    peel

  22. #22
    Super Member Feathers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    3,029
    Baren...congrats! How exciting that you are expecting a new little baby. Bet you are excited. It'll be fun to see pictures when the baby comes..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.