Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kaufman Essex Linen blend >

Kaufman Essex Linen blend

Kaufman Essex Linen blend

Old 05-21-2021, 11:18 AM

Default Kaufman Essex Linen blend

Has anyone used the Kaufman linen/cotton fabric for quilting? Have you mixed it with regular quilting cottons? Did it shrink more than regular cotton because of the linen content?

Old 05-21-2021, 12:04 PM

I have not mixed it with quilting cotton but I adored working with it for a quilt it was fabtastic !(my new word for wonderful fabric) and I loved how it washed up with a poly batting, as you can see very little wrinkle after washing. I would imagine that it would work just fine with regular cotton but I am sure someone has mixed the 2 and will be able to better answer your question.
Attached Thumbnails 4e78315e-be82-4b21-a48d-5b19cdd02822.jpeg  
Old 05-21-2021, 12:24 PM

Beautiful quilt, tallchick! I am very encouraged to hear your positive comments. I bought a half yard of this to see what it is like, and it really struck my fancy; I was thinking of it for a sashing.
Old 05-21-2021, 04:33 PM

I've used it several times as the background in quilts, Elizabeth Hartman (fancy forest, pretty birds). I works nicely, tho it is a bit thicker. I use the yarn dyed colors. Right now I'm beginning a quilt using a essex linen solid. it's really nice.
Old 05-22-2021, 05:33 AM

Good to hear this. I accidently picked two plain taupe and tan fabrics....and cut them to make use on a scrappy quilt I was making as borders around the nine patches. Ummmm.....why does this fabric feel differant....OHHHHHHH....now I recall, I bought this, what I now remember was a linen cotton something blend to use as background fabric on an embroidered Hummel character quilt I was going to make about a hundred years ago. Of course this was after the quilt was on the long arm being quilted. So there is hope it will wash and wear fine.
Old 05-22-2021, 09:41 AM

I haven't personally used the Essex Linen blend in any quilts but a wonderful blogger whose writing I really enjoy has some experience and tips on using Linen (100% and blends). Essex has such gorgeous texture so I hope you enjoy using it!

Not affiliated at all with Rachel but just really enjoy her blog:

https://www.stitchedincolor.com/blog...ith-linen.html
Old 05-22-2021, 01:26 PM

Thank you for that link, Sephie. Those were some good suggestions!
Old 05-23-2021, 02:53 PM

I can't comment on the shrinkage because I prewashed before using it. It is a thick weave, so takes up a bit more in the seam if you are looking for precision piecing (I wasn't, it was background on an improv quilt). Very nice hand and drape. I found it was excellent as a binding, because it was a cross-dyed fabric the stitches completely disappeared.
Old 05-27-2021, 04:01 PM

Yes, I have used Essex cotton/linen blend as a background in two quilts - in tan and light gray. The remainder of the fabrics were regular quilting cottons and batiks. I pre-washed to avoid any issues with different shrinkage rates. I've always loved linen and really enjoy the texture it adds.

Attached Thumbnails 20180127_180203.jpg   20171220_123813.jpg  
Old 05-28-2021, 07:07 AM

Beautiful quilts, Shewanders!