Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kaye Wood’s 6 Hour Quilt >

Kaye Wood’s 6 Hour Quilt

Kaye Wood’s 6 Hour Quilt

Old 08-04-2019, 01:11 AM

Default Kaye Wood’s 6 Hour Quilt

I am going to try making one of Kaye Wood’s 6 Hour quilts.
She uses 6 inch wide strips of fabric and a ‘quilt-as-you-go’ method and says it requires no further quilting.

My longest strips will be 42 x 6 inches. I will be using an inexpensive unbranded polyester wadding and I’m wondering if this should have a bit more quilting to hold the wadding - perhaps just a straight line every 6 or 8 inches - what do you think?

Here’s is a link to her video for those who have not seen it -

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IiLWm5jkAJ0

Last edited by Moira in N.E. England; 08-04-2019 at 01:13 AM.
Old 08-04-2019, 03:27 AM

I believe it depends on your batting. If you believe it will need another line of quilting, to stabilize it in use, then do it. Kaye probably used a dense batting that didn’t require additional quilting.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:09 AM

I would check on the package - Each batting is different. I would do the quilt and if after you are finished you need more, you can add it. Cute quilt by the way - looks pretty straight forward to do!
Old 08-04-2019, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt30 View Post
I believe it depends on your batting. If you believe it will need another line of quilting, to stabilize it in use, then do it. Kaye probably used a dense batting that didn’t require additional quilting.
Yes - I think that’s what I’m going to do.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:27 AM

Kaye Wood was such a fabulous teacher! I saw this method on PBS many, many years ago. It is joy to watch her again here. I'm sure you can add any additional quilting to the strips, before adding the next strip, without any problem.

I would love to see your finished quilt.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by eparys View Post
I would check on the package - Each batting is different. I would do the quilt and if after you are finished you need more, you can add it. Cute quilt by the way - looks pretty straight forward to do!
Unfortunately I can’t check the package as my wadding was bought from a huge roll in a shop and apart from the thickness there was no more information.

Yes - it does look easy to do and perfect for the charity quilts I make. I think it would be a great way to use up long scraps - every section could be a different fabric. I’ve had a serger for a few years and am not really that confident with it. I’m hoping this project will boost my confidence.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by SillySusan View Post
Kaye Wood was such a fabulous teacher! I saw this method on PBS many, many years ago. It is joy to watch her again here. I'm sure you can add any additional quilting to the strips, before adding the next strip, without any problem.

I would love to see your finished quilt.
I hadn’t heard of Kaye Wood until I saw this video - she explains thing so well. I’m going to look out for more of her videos.
Old 08-04-2019, 05:08 AM
Power Poster

Great video. I made a quilt all strips using that technique but it was small and I used cotton batting. Then I discovered a tutorial using that technique and the sewing machine to add a border to a completed quilt before the binding is put on. Thanks for posting.
Old 08-04-2019, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
Great video. I made a quilt all strips using that technique but it was small and I used cotton batting. Then I discovered a tutorial using that technique and the sewing machine to add a border to a completed quilt before the binding is put on. Thanks for posting.
I think I would prefer to bind the quilt rather than just have a serged edge. I’m sure I’ve read that some quilters like to serge the edge of a quilt before adding a binding. I think a lot depends on how confident you are with a serger!
Old 08-04-2019, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Moira in N.E. England View Post
I hadn’t heard of Kaye Wood until I saw this video - she explains thing so well. I’m going to look out for more of her videos.
She did a series on PBS on strip quilting. I watched it every week, although I didn't quilt. I wish I could see it again, now that I actually quilt.

bkay