Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Keeping Appliqué pieces in place

I am lucky to have the space for a flannel design wall which I have been working on the placements of a lot of small applique pieces. I finally was satisfied with the placement so I attempted to pin everything in place to make the trip to the ironing board. OOPPS. Everything wasn't secure. Does anyone have any suggestions?? I wasn't sure if I could use a glue stick to keep them in place without ruining the adhesives of the Heat & Bond. THANKS for any suggestions. This is my first post....
    Joellyn

Welcome - I am sure someone will have the best suggestion...I wondered this too.

Blog Entries
    I don't have an answer....but my suggestion is that you use a scrap and see how the fabric, glue and Heat and Bond react. That way you will know for sure. Just a thought:)

Blog Entries
    I like to use an Elmer's Washable School Glue stick, but I've never used it in conjunction with Heat-N-Bond. Like Erstan said, maybe try the combo on scraps and see how they react.

for applique pieces ,that give me problems, I have a elmers school glue stick ( washable ) I use.. just a little dab in the center and it holds. If I want to remove it and use heat and bond or other fusible, usually a gentle tug will removed it. If I applied a bit too much glue, I have a small spritzer bottle to remove the piece.

Blog Entries
    I made an 18x18 flannel pressing board that I use for applique. I place my backing down - then arrange my pieces - then press in place.

I use Steam a Seam2 fusible & it sticks to the fabric so that you can get everything arranged exactly as you want before pressing/ironing

I use a dab of Elmer's washable gluestick. Don't know if it interfers or not with heat adhesives, since I stitch down my pieces.

Blog Entries
    I have been using a glue stick in place of heat and bond since I am stiching around the edges. So far so good.

Blog Entries
    The heat and bond doesn't like to adhere in the areas with the glue. The glue forms a barrier :wink: :D:D:D

THANKS Amma !!!

This was covered in Fons and Porter #1608 – Valiant Eagle – Part I. If you look on the web, you may be able to find what they used. I remember that they had stuck everything together and then moved it to the quilt and fused it as one piece.

Hope this helps.

Blog Entries
    I use a teflon pressing sheet. Here is some info. http://www.stitchemup.com/applique/pressing-sheets.htm

I use the glue stick all the time, to keep my applique pieces in place until I can iron them down and have never had a problem with the heat n bond coming loose. It is so nice to use, when you are doing hand applique, and the pieces tend to come a little loose. I just touch the glue stick on it and press it down, and it stays there very well.

That has never happened for me, and I have been using that method for years. The best thing to do is to try it on a sample. Good luck

I use a glue stick as well by itself. I know some people use these shorter pins specifically for applique as well.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    I used to use Heat n Bond but switched to Steam a Seam 2 and I much prefer it, not only because it adheres temporarily without being ironed. I also find it stays softer, though I do get a tiny little blob of glue on the needle after a while, it doesn't do any harm. I'm using it on a mandala quilt at the moment which has lots of tiny pieces and it is excellent. Know that doesn't help you with this project though... I don't like to pin as it distorts the shape and haven't tried the glue stick so can't comment.

Blog Entries
    I was taught by a lady from the Baltimore Album Society and she had no problem using a glue stick. There are some glues that will show up later and not look so good but the glue sticks work great. I even put some on my needle when turning curves or points that are difficult and it's great for getting loose threads tucked out of the way.

Blog Entries
    I use a LOT of fusible because I love applique and machine applique is all I do. I just use the tip of my iron and touch the middle of the applique piece to hold it in place. You can move it if you wish and you still have plenty of fusible bond. I have also use the washale glue stick to hold things in place and not had a problem.