Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
keeping my quilt top from puckering >

keeping my quilt top from puckering

keeping my quilt top from puckering

Old 03-06-2016, 01:33 PM

Default keeping my quilt top from puckering

I have trouble machine quilting and keeping my quilt top from puckering. I sandwich my backing, batting, and top together keeping it all as taut as possible. Then I pin it before quilting. Not sure if the problem is with the way I put it all together or if it is my machine tension. I would appreciate suggestions.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:18 PM
Power Poster

You don't want to have the backing too taut. I always check the backing when I have it secured to the table to make sure it had the right tension, I would run my hand over making sure there was no movement. It should not be taut like a drum. If you release the backing when finished pinning, if the backing is too tight, the top will have little bits of puffiness because the backing has returned to it's normal shape. Hope this helps.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:54 PM

I found that by loosening the pressure on the presser foot, things went together a little more smoothly. I dont know if all machines have the option of doing that.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:59 PM

Do you keep the quilt up on the table, not dragging on the floor? I use quilting gloves to help move the quilt around. Do you make a small practice quilt before you start quilting? I do that to check the tension.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:58 PM

Gran28, this may be a funny question but just have to ask after reading this post a few different times You aren't moving the quilt after you sandwich it before you pin baste, are you? It's probably just the wording that makes me wonder. And do you use lots of pins? Like at least one every hand width? Are you doing straight line quilting or free motion designs? Is your machine flush with the top of your cabinet? So many variables happen.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:11 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Gran28 View Post
I have trouble machine quilting and keeping my quilt top from puckering. I sandwich my backing, batting, and top together keeping it all as taut as possible. Then I pin it before quilting. Not sure if the problem is with the way I put it all together or if it is my machine tension. I would appreciate suggestions.
None of the layers should be taut. Each individual layer should be smooth. To ensure smoothness for the backing, you can smooth the backing and then tape it down. Same with the other layers.

One of my recommendations is to *heavily* starch the backing before you layer. I like a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water. This is a fast technique for me because I use a wall painting brush to apply the starch solution to the fabric; my kitchen island is just about the right size and height. Once the fabric is saturated with starch I wait a few minutes to make sure the starch has time to penetrate the fabric fibers, then toss in the dryer. Afterwards I iron with steam, which re-activates the starch. What this heavy application of starch does is stabilize the backing fabric so it is *much* less likely to pucker or distort while machine quilting.

I also like to starch the top as heavily as possible, although for this I use several layers of spray starch. You can lay the top on a large flat sheet, spray from the outside edges towards the center, use a fan to speed drying of the starch, and apply this in several layers. Wait for the starch to dry, then iron with steam to make the top flat.

Pin basting is not ideal in terms of keeping all 3 layers in contact with one another. Both spray basting and glue basting are better because they prove much more continuous contact between the layers. If possible, switch to one of these basting methods for better results.

Starch and a continuous basting method together will almost guarantee that you will not get puckers or tucks when machine quilting. This is because the individual fabric layers are stabilized (by the starch), plus all 3 layers are continuously in contact (by means of the spray or glue basting methods).
Old 03-06-2016, 08:57 PM
Power Poster

Just want to add that, for a quilt that has already been layered and basted, you can still add some stabilization with spray starch. Just lay the quilt on a large flat sheet (to catch overspray) and spray starch both top and backing in several layers. Spraying from the edges towards the center minimizes overspray, and a fan helps speed the drying process between layers.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:01 AM

Very helpful.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:01 AM

I check my machine tension every time before I start quilting. I usually will just grab a strip of fabric, set it on top of the excess batting & backing along the edge of my quilt & stitch a tiny sample just to ensure that tension is correct for thread & presser foot. If I feel I need more, then I'll grab some scrap fabric & batting and make a small quilt sandwich (up to 1/2 yard). Should be the same material, batting & thread as your quilt. I don't pin practice sandwiches because they're so small.

If puckering is all over, it's probably due to layering issues. For the bottom layer, lay it out flat & then use tape to floor or T-pins to carpet to just gently pull it smooth -- not taught. Then just lay the batting & quilt top over the backing & gently smooth with your hands before basting. If any layer is pulled taught, you will get puckers.

If puckering is in the center of quilt top, Pin from the center out. I pin by quadrants from center out & then go in order by diagonal quadrants (upper left, bottom right; upper right, bottom left). You want to quilt in the same fashion so you push any puckers out to the edge of the quilt rather than trapping them in the middle.

If your puckering is just along the outside edges of your quilt, you need to thread baste the edges down. I grab whatever junky thread I have & any hand sewing needle and just run a quick basting stitch within 1/4" from the edge of the quilt. Some people leave that in because it's hidden by the binding, but I always pull mine out because it barely takes any time to unsew basting stitches.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

I wonder if it could be too tight. Maybe let it relax a bit.