Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Keeping my scissors handy

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Keeping my scissors handy

After decades of 'searching' for my scissors while sitting at the machine, after trying many different tricks to save myself, I finally found, by simple mistake, a method that works great for me!!

I had been removing clamps from a basted quilt on the sewing table, just reclipping them along the edge of the tabletop as I undid them.

Some of them were still there a day later when I used my scissors to trim a thread. Viola, I reached over and slipped the point of the scissors down into the 'handle' of one clamp closest to me where it was attached to the edge of the table. The handles of the scissors stick up enough to grab them easily and are perfect for my fingers to fit right through the holes in one motion! How cool is that, I thought!

Now the edge of my tabletop, which is just the right thickness to take these clamps perfectly, has three of them lined up there with 2 pair of little thread trimmer scissors and one larger pair of shears. I'm in heaven; no more lost scissors for me!

Jan in VA
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

What a clever idea! And Jan, I'm a fan of yours anyway, so this even increases my admiration.

Great idea! My sewing machine table is a counter top, I don't know if they would be wide enough, but I am surely going to try!
    God Bless Quilters and Sewers
    Marti

Blog Entries
    Very clever idea!!!! That's why I have a basket of scissors next to my sewing machine, on my ironing board, and on my cutting table. When the baskets are empty I start gathering them up again. Same with seam rippers. I don't waste time when sewing looking for scissors, I grab another pair. How they get lost being in one place I will never understand. The dark handle small snip $1.47 cent scissors at Walmart are excellent for thread snipping and if they get lost for good, who cares.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    great idea!! I used to use those to hold my quilt on a table for basting. my hands can't open them wide enough these days. I must be getting old!!
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Power Poster
    I love those bull dog clips for tons of things in my sewing room. I use them attached to shower rings for hanging my quilts on a rod. I keep one on mytape-measure. I clip them on my wire cupboard with little sewing samples attached.
    This week I found these at my Walmart on the clearance bin. I actually bought them because I want to try the denim rag quilt but they have come in handy for at my sewing machine. I can't loose my scissors if they are around my neck, right?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    this is genius!!!! :-D
    "... let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."

Blog Entries
    So smart!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by LynnVT View Post
    What a clever idea! And Jan, I'm a fan of yours anyway, so this even increases my admiration.
    A quilt is a blanket of love. Sharon

SSK
    I need to ruu out and get bigger ones.

Blog Entries
    another great idea!
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Great tip!!! I have been wearing mine around my neck on a ribbon to keep them where I want them... but at time its not the best solution.

Quote Originally Posted by LynnVT View Post
    Me too, Jan! You always have such clever ideas on here! But as far as scissors go?? I have to literally wear mine around my neck. It seems I always get to the other side of the room and both pair are on the opposite side :-/
    ~Laura