Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Keeping Track of Progress in a Row by Row Design >

Keeping Track of Progress in a Row by Row Design

Keeping Track of Progress in a Row by Row Design

Old 07-09-2011, 03:40 AM

Being a fairly new quilted I don't see how you do it but will be great to see it when it's done!!
Old 07-09-2011, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by SherriB
To keep my rows in order, I use numbered beads I bought at Hobby Lobby. They have single numbers, 0-9, printed on them and a small hole through them. I slip a number onto a quilting or safety pin to the end of each row when my quilt rows are layed out. For #6, I use a single bead and for #9, I use two beads, #09. That way I know for certain which it is. I tried the paper method but mine would sometimes fall off and I would end up getting stuck the the pin.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-130958-1.htm
Old 07-09-2011, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by scrapykate
I also take a picture once all the rows are done and laid out so if in doubt I can look. Just too easy for me to turn something the wrong way, even with numbering:-(
Fantastic suggestion. I'll do that too.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:03 PM

In looking at that picture, is it my imagination or is it also just a 9 patch with a solid patch in the middle...with the 9 patch pieces changing color depending on the solid patch they are nearest? It would still take some planning as to the line up of each 9 patch, but might be easier than a row by row.

of course if you have already cut all the strips, then my way wouldn't work! *Ü*

eta: and of course you wouldn't get the cool striped pattern that the cover pattern has....

eta2: and honestly if I were going to do it row by row, I would probably sew each row on as I got it completed to make sure it was "right"....I would rather find the mistake as I made a row than in the end after I sewed them all together!
Old 07-09-2011, 06:19 PM

I color it in on graph paper first with colored pencils -making each graph sq the approx color of my fabric. Then as I make a strip, I pin a number on the top of the strip. At the end, I dbl check it all and check against the graph paper.