Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kenmore 3/4 serger #16631 >

Kenmore 3/4 serger #16631

Kenmore 3/4 serger #16631

Old 10-20-2021, 07:36 AM

Default Kenmore 3/4 serger #16631

Wanting to purchase a serger. Found a Sears kenmore 3-4 serger 385 16631 for $100. Is that a reasonable price? Was told mil bought in 1998. Looks like she barely used it. Does anyone have/use this model? I couldn’t kind much information on it. Found lots of information on the 16641 but not the 31. I know the older models are trickier to thread. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Tia.
Old 10-21-2021, 11:32 AM

I never used that particular machine, so I can only relate my experience when I bought an older second-hand serger. I found it difficult to use, but I assumed that was because of my lack of knowledge about sergers. So I found a beginner serger class and signed up. Even with the teacher's help I spent most of my time struggling to thread the serger, adjust the tension, get the fabric to feed evenly and the stitches to balance. After two sessions watching my fellow classmates zoom ahead of me with their projects, I went out and bought a new serger. Are you experienced with sergers? Does the machine come with lessons? Do you have spare time to fiddle with it? If not, I would be wary.
Old 10-21-2021, 11:38 AM
Power Poster

If you are willing to spend a little more I have the Brother 1034D which works fine. I found a video tutorial to thread it and now no issues. If you want to spend a lot of $$ you can get the air threader. Many will say they have one of those spendy ones and of course that is the obviously easier one.
Old 10-29-2021, 07:59 AM

Thanks for the offer Stichripper. I think shipping would be expensive but will keep your offer in mind in case threading this one is a nightmare and drives me crazy 😜. I offered her $50 and she agreed. Picking it up next week.
Old 10-29-2021, 08:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Dande413 View Post
Thanks for the offer Stichripper. I think shipping would be expensive but will keep your offer in mind in case threading this one is a nightmare and drives me crazy 😜. I offered her $50 and she agreed. Picking it up next week.
oh gosh I am sorry. It looks like I was offering mine for sale. But they are easy to come by and not too spendy
Old 10-31-2021, 07:13 AM

Well it’s mine. Picked it up last night. 😁 It needs a cleaning and oiling but looks in good shape. Was threaded so tried to sew. Stitches are beautiful. Now to find something to serge. 🤔