Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Kenmore age

Kenmore age

Heres my "new " machine. Thoughts on its age?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jo C's photo. It was driving me crazy, so I copied and flipped it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

my guess 1970's??

I don't know the age but I had Kenmore's (3) for years and they were work horses. Wish I still had one of them. Stitching was perfect etc. I now own only Janome's and they make the Kenmores today.

I'm quilting a full size quilt on a 70's Kenmore right now. I love this machine. It looks similar to the one in the pic. I say early to mid 70's.

It's about 1976 - 1978 model. I have one I bought new after my first son was born in 1976! Good machine. Enjoy.

Someone gave me one just like that, I cleaned it up and oiled it. My daughter's friend owns it now, she's very happy with her "new" machine.

I have a link at home with model numbers of Kenmores and when they were manufactured. I will see if I can find it. I totally wore mine out but it was bought in the early 80s.

Blog Entries
    I was given mine in 1980 as my college graduation present, and she is still my main machine. Purrs like a kitten and is used 7 hrs a day, 6 days a week! I clean and oil her after every project, FMQ like crazy, and bought a second one as a backup! My other machine is a 1928 singer 99K, and her stitch is awesome. Congratulations!
    May your blessings be many, your troubles few and your fabric stash endless!

Quote Originally Posted by Annie68 View Post
    I'm quilting a full size quilt on a 70's Kenmore right now. I love this machine. It looks similar to the one in the pic. I say early to mid 70's.
    My Mom has a Kenmore machine. It's pushing 40.........LOL
    She bought it when my little brother was about 1 yrs. old.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

Omg..cleaned and oiled...she runs like a dream...so quiet. This is my new piecing machine for sure. No manual. Do the feedogs drop?

Blog Entries
    No drop on the feeddogs, but there is a plate that you can order to cover them. You can also order feet for FMQ (darningfoot) and SITD quilting. If you PM your address, I could copy my manual for you. I'll try and remember where I ordered the feet from, they were terrific to work with.
    May your blessings be many, your troubles few and your fabric stash endless!

My mom bought one new in 1975 great machine it was mine after mom went to heaven now its my oldest daughters and sew like new fantastic. Lillian

I have my mother's Kenmore ...I will take a picture of it. I don't even remember what it looks like.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Mine is very close to this, but has two of those stitch regulators where you have only one. Also, my feed dogs drop. Mine is from 1973 and when I've taken it to classes (before I got a newer lightweight Kenmore) people always commented on how quiet it is. It's been a very reliable machine, acting up only when I forget to clean the fuzz from between the tension plates. Enjoy!
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Here's a website to find the year, based on the model number: http://www.searsarchives.com/history.../sewing_id.pdf

I know it was after 1972, because that's when I got my first Kenmore--and free arm was not yet invented. I would guess it is from around 1975. Those old Kenmores are wonderful machines...I still use mine!

I had a Kenmore exactly like that. Think I bought it sometime in the 70's. Literally wore it out. Can't begin to tell you how many garments and alterations I made with that machine. It definately was worth the $$$.

Thanks for the link, Wanda..yep i think around 1975 too. Dang, i wish i didn't have to sleep, cuz i would love to be getting to know this baby better tonite!

I have this machine, and the nearest I can remember, about 1980-1984. I got mine new about the time my sec on son was born. He just turned thirty.

mine looks a lot like that, but I have an extra dial, and space for cams on the top. That brown and cream is the exact same. Mine is HEAVY! and not quiet . . . hmm!

Blog Entries
    looks like my older kenmore 77/78 would be my guess...they never give up
    Retired and living in NE Michigan