Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kicking myself for being too cheap >

Kicking myself for being too cheap

Kicking myself for being too cheap

Old 06-20-2010, 06:04 PM

Went to an interesting estate sale yesterday. House just packed full of antique furniture and collectibles. 3 floors plus the attic, and so hot I could hardly stand. Poked around, and found a "coffin top" Singer Treadle in the basement. No assurances of working condition, and belt was missing, so hard to tell. Didn't like the price, but today was half off day. Went back to revisit, and it was gone! Did buy an older (and very heavy) White "portable". Was sweating by the time I carried it up the treacherous stairs! Have several women asking me to find them machines. Got this one for $8.00, so hope it works. Will clean it up and take it for a test drive, then call one on my list to see if she's interested. Moral: She who hesitates misses out!
Old 06-20-2010, 06:08 PM
Power Poster

The first thing I thought while reading your post was- when I get really hot I don't care what is on sale or free- I have to get out!!
Sorry you missed the bargain though. I get crazier than usual when it's too hot :D
Old 06-20-2010, 06:10 PM
Power Poster

Just blame it on the heat :wink: Who can think clearly when they are hot :shock:

At least you got one machine :thumbup:
Old 06-20-2010, 06:13 PM

A lot of times at estate sales antique dealers will tell the sellers that if it doesn't sell at the asking price to hold if for them. They'll usually pay 5, 10 or even 20 more than the half price for this service. That's why when you go back for the good stuff at half price it's already gone. I went to one that had a Featherwieght. Someone had left a bid on it. I gave them the asking price because I knew if I upped the woman's bid without meeting the asking price they were required to call her to see if she wanted to offer more. I didn't want to get into a bidding war so I gave them full price.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:29 PM
Power Poster

Oh well, I guess you weren't meant to have that one. Don't blame yourself. No one can think clearly when they are overheated.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:22 AM

Win some, loose some! If it is meant to be, it will, if not, their is something better in your future just waiting for you! I got a 99k machine last week,garage sale was closing, walked away from it once, went back at last moment and it was still there waiting for me!
Old 06-21-2010, 05:27 AM
Power Poster

Aw, at least you got one new machine! Hope it works for you!